Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
Ladies what is your definition of poor or when do you know what you are poor?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Replies (171-180):
pce68
by Patti on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Human resources? If you mean DFCS, the office that does food stamps and all, no they won't help me. They say I make too much for food stamps, but i am going to try again. I have gotten help from our local cooperative ministry with my electric bill but that means they won't help me with any other financial issues for 12 months. I got food from them 2 weeks ago. You can only get food once a month. Some people at the food pantry told me of some other places that will help me with food, clothes and furniture. I am going to try and see if I can go to work late one day and go there. 

I get child support but it is so unpredictable. I might get none for 3 months and then get 2 payments at once. Sometimes I only get a half a payment. Sometimes I get none. I haven't gotten any this month yet. There is nothing I can do about that. I have talked to the child support office and they said yes he is supposed to pay every month, by the first, but if he doesn't, they don't consider it late until the entire month is over and then they won't do anything about it until it is 30 days late, so for example, this month they won't do anything until 30 days after the end of the month, whoch would be March 2nd, and then they just send him a naotice. It has to be several months behind befoe they will suspend his license or do anything like that.

I need to find either a second job or a better job that pays enough so I wouldn't have to rely on the child support, but I'm not sure where to start. I don't have a college degree so my choices are quite limited. I have thought about going back to school but I am not sure what to study, and where to go and how to do it while working full time. I had originally studied to be a teacher, but I never completed my degree. If I go back to school I don't think education is a good choice. 1) bc to finish an education degree, I would need to have at least 6 months where I would be student teaching and I couldn't work, and I just don't see how I could survive that long without a paycheck. and 2) Teaching is not a stable career right now. The school systems around here have hiring freezes and are cutting teachers every year in an attempt to make their budget. So I'm not sure what to do instead. 

Sorry to ramble on so long. Thanks for your concern.

Quoting My-mono-twins:

Human resorces will help with your bills wont they? Food? What about child support? :( sorry

Quoting pce68:

I live in Lawrenceville, Ga. That's a suburb north of Atlanta.

Quoting My-mono-twins:

May I ask you a question???? Where do you live? Town? state?

Quoting pce68:

My definition of poor is me, lol. Seriously most people on CM would consider me poor and the govt considers me poor but I have seen people a lot worse off than me. I guess  when you can't pay all of your bills each month, and I'm talking about necessary bills, not credit cards, and luxury car payments, and that sort of thing. When buying groceries is a struggle. When you need help to pay the rent or electricity. When you are counting out pennies to see if you can come up with enough to buy 3 gallons of gas. When you only have enough food for your kids so you do without. When you wear the same ugly coat that you have had for 20 years bc you can't afford to buy a new one.

Supervane
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:59 PM
That's right!

Quoting lizzyluvsmoe:

or a nanny for each child.

Quoting Supervane:

Someone who doesn't have a playroom for their kids!!! or a beach house!!! I mean come on those are just basics...

jk!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 39 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:09 PM

But even married couples making $51,567 can qualify for PA if they have at least three children.

Quoting kitchen.ninja: If you qualify for PA.
piratepixie
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:13 PM

when i was making about 10k a year and had a family to feed on my own, i couldn't afford to drive because i couldn't cover the gas and insurance costs on top of what ever car payments there might have been. it was get a car or have a roof over our heads but not both, i knew i was pretty poor then when i couldn't even afford to get a extra milk for the house and had to number the baby diapers to make sure there would be enough! there was times when there wasn't any food in the house and i went hungry so my baby wouldn't....

i still did my best to provide what i could but it was still heart breaking that i had to ask for PA because i could only do so much.

JBiiirdD
by No Day but Today on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:21 PM
I have a friend who's a leasing agent & basic cable & Internet is included with the rental of an apartment. lol

Quoting Momof2sillygrls:

Can always sell the ipad and make 300 dollarsfor gas, food, and i love how people say net and phone comes with their apartments, there are no apartments that offer that and IF they magically did it's worked into the rent somehow making the rent a tad more for a place who didn't have it. Like I said before:  the way I look at it things can always be sold to make a quick buck, as well as things cut like cable, net, go prepaid plan for cell, etc. When I was poor I sold all my stuff except my bed and my dd's and her few toys so I could make money to eat, I didnt have computer or tv much less cable or net, I had a perpaid plan and didnt answer when people called so I could save my minutes instead I would call them back from a friends or family phone. I took clothes that my dd outgrew and sold them to consignment shop to have money for food or gas. Where there is a will there's away.

Quoting 1CopaceticMama:

LOL I knew a judger would step in. Yes, I do have Internet. I also have 3 ways to access CM. We have a computer, an iPad, and the local library. The computer was my husbands before we met. Its a dinosaur. The iPad I won from smartappsforkids.com. Our Internet and home phone came with the apartment.

Quoting Momof2sillygrls:

Yet both of you have the internet and a device such as a smartphone, laptop, ipad, or such to access the internet. 

Quoting 1CopaceticMama:

This is us too. My family is on a super tight budget. When we didn't get our FS this month is turned us upside down. I only eat a little bit of dinner and drink lots of water to keep going so my kids can eat. I have less than 1/4 tank of gas and a whole week before my husbands payday. The only place I drive is to the school and back since it is in the neg temps. Its too cold for my kids to walk. I'm hoping like hades we can make it to the next payday.

I hope you do too <3

Quoting pce68:

My definition of poor is me, lol. Seriously most people on CM would consider me poor and the govt considers me poor but I have seen people a lot worse off than me. I guess  when you can't pay all of your bills each month, and I'm talking about necessary bills, not credit cards, and luxury car payments, and that sort of thing. When buying groceries is a struggle. When you need help to pay the rent or electricity. When you are counting out pennies to see if you can come up with enough to buy 3 gallons of gas. When you only have enough food for your kids so you do without. When you wear the same ugly coat that you have had for 20 years bc you can't afford to buy a new one.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 39 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:22 PM

What makes a space too small for the people who live there? Is it a certain square footage? Or a number of people per bedroom?

Quoting 1boy1girlmama:

Poor:

- Living situation is too small for the amount of people who live there but not enough $$ to move elsewhere. 

-Not enough food to eat, one or more persons in the family has to go hungry in order to feed the others.

-Not enough money to meet every day necessitites. (ie. medications, car insurance, gas, ect).

-Qualifies for state assistance (though not always the case I've known plenty of poor people who do not qualify) 

kitchen.ninja
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:23 PM
In what state and which pa? Net or gross?

In Ca to get say fs you have to make under $2,836 a month gross to qualify which breaks down to around 30k a year. That is for a family of 5.

Quoting Anonymous:

But even married couples making $51,567 can qualify for PA if they have at least three children.

Quoting kitchen.ninja: If you qualify for PA.

JBiiirdD
by No Day but Today on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:25 PM
Unfortunate for the moment. Some people are on PA as a temporary need to save up & get out of a rut.

Quoting mommybug77:

Quoting Anonymous:

Not everyone on pa is poor. I don't use that as a barometer. Poor... Unable to consistently provide basic necessities.

so if you are not poor on pa, then what are you?
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Quoting LucyHarper:

If you can't afford basic needs of human survival, food, water, shelter, and very basic clothing, while living without any sort of extras.

I agree

LilliesValley
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:29 PM
You are poor when you need pa but make just barely too much to get pa.

You are poor when you have a budget and stick to if because not sticking to it means you don't eat.

Really poor is qualifying for pa, or I would call it golden poor because you are getting help.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)