Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
Ladies what is your definition of poor or when do you know what you are poor?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Replies (31-40):
LucyHarper
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:04 AM
1 mom liked this

No country as a whole knows what poor is, in every country their are wealthy people who live in ignorance, that doesn't mean there are people who do know what it is. If thats not poor, then what is poor to you.

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

I grew up the same way as you...but my opinion stands...Americans as a whole have no idea what poor is.

Quoting LucyHarper:

I grew up without electricity, heat, running water, and regular meals. I ate a small meal once a day, if I was lucky. I didn't wear shoes in the summer because I had to save them for winter. I know families who live in shacks with their kids huddled on a bare mattress for warmth and have no idea where their next meal is coming from. This is in America. I know what poor is. Not everyone in America lives a middle class life style with smart phones and all of their needs at their fingertips.

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

Poor is a relative term. In my opinion Americans don't have any idea what poor is.

Quoting LucyHarper:

I assure you, I and many others do.

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

Americans don't have any idea what "poor" is.

deepthinker
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

Poor is a relative term. In my opinion Americans don't have any idea what poor is.

Quoting LucyHarper:

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

You have no idea what happens in America then, because growing up... I'm pretty sure I was poor. 

Neuro
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:06 AM
1 mom liked this

When government services (welfare, food stamps) and charities such as food banks make the difference between barely surviving with just enough and starving to death in the street.

My friends that I consider poor would starve if not for food stamps and food banks and the working poor that I know fare slightly better. In both situations, they count their change and they buy only the bare minimum and do not spend a dollar more if they can avoid it. Choosing between rent and gas, food and gas and sometimes forgoing things alltogether. Poor is right above destitute/homeless.

I would consider myself to be "making it", which is slightly above poor. My bills get paid and if keeping a budget, I am cool with my groceries, gas and my other bills. I generally have enough to save at the end of the month and can save for car repairs and health expenses.

Why yes, I do have personal little categorizations for income level that if I made a chart out of, would probably be a lot more explanatory than the government income-tax charts!

deepthinker
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Quoting LucyHarper:

No country as a whole knows what poor is, in every country their are wealthy people who live in ignorance, that doesn't mean there are people who do know what it is. If thats not poor, then what is poor to you.

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

I grew up the same way as you...but my opinion stands...Americans as a whole have no idea what poor is.

Quoting LucyHarper:

I grew up without electricity, heat, running water, and regular meals. I ate a small meal once a day, if I was lucky. I didn't wear shoes in the summer because I had to save them for winter. I know families who live in shacks with their kids huddled on a bare mattress for warmth and have no idea where their next meal is coming from. This is in America. I know what poor is. Not everyone in America lives a middle class life style with smart phones and all of their needs at their fingertips.

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

Quoting LucyHarper:

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

I wanna know what her idea of poor is too, because I grew up like that... and when you can't eat, get warm, or drink water with out going to get it from another location and boiling it... It sure felt poor to me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:08 AM
I'm pretty sure that's poor. We don't make that much money, but we do have smart phones, don't think I'm middle class.

Quoting LucyHarper:

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

Quoting LucyHarper:

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

LADYxGHOST
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:09 AM
2 moms liked this

I know what poor is. I grew up poor. Days without food or water living in a shack without heat or running water and not having all four walls was an upgrade to where we used to live which was in the forest. I grew up without food for a week plus. Lived where electricity was a luxury we couldn't afford. Blankets where coveted. Used wood heat to cook, warm water from a well. Ate what we could grow, kill or steal.

I am not poor now nor have I been since I was 19. Rich is having enough food to eat for the day, shelter and protection from the elements.  To be poor you must not be able to provide shelter (and not this everychild should have a room crap but a roof with 4 walls), enough food to satisfy the belly for the day (and not mcdonalds or steak, but any human consumable food, growing up we ate things I am glad I never have to feed my kids, but it was food none the less and we were thankful for it) and provide basic protection fro the elements (not ac the house to 72 but keep the house cool enough to stave off heat stroke and heat the house enough to stave of frost bite). Many Americans n PA are not even close to poor, jus less rich than others.  If you are on PA and have internet, a cell phone, a computer, cable, or smoke or drink alcohol, you are not poor.  You can afford luxuries.

tossed
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:11 AM

It depends on the type of assistance. For some, it is 130% of poverty level; some, 150% of poverty level. A person can qualify for assistance and the assistance can elevate them above the poverty level while a person who made only a few dollars above the qualification level and gets no help ends up in a more difficult situation. 

Quoting kitchen.ninja:

Well you have to be poverty level to get assistance.

Poverty is poor.

Quoting momsince04:

Lol, yep that what almost every CM seems to think

Quoting kitchen.ninja:

If you qualify for PA.

My-mono-twins
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:14 AM

May I ask you a question???? Where do you live? Town? state?

Quoting pce68:

My definition of poor is me, lol. Seriously most people on CM would consider me poor and the govt considers me poor but I have seen people a lot worse off than me. I guess  when you can't pay all of your bills each month, and I'm talking about necessary bills, not credit cards, and luxury car payments, and that sort of thing. When buying groceries is a struggle. When you need help to pay the rent or electricity. When you are counting out pennies to see if you can come up with enough to buy 3 gallons of gas. When you only have enough food for your kids so you do without. When you wear the same ugly coat that you have had for 20 years bc you can't afford to buy a new one.

LucyHourglass
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:16 AM

idk

MisfitDoll
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:16 AM

If you are on welfare or homeless

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)