Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
Ladies what is your definition of poor or when do you know what you are poor?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:18 AM

eye rolling

lovinglife0682
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:18 AM
I can honestly say I don't know poor. We never went without. My girls have never gone without.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Not enough food to sustain life,no home,no clean running water or clean clothing. That is poor. Americans often have resources through the government and private charities  that are not available to those in so many other places. There could one day be another great depression and we have been dangerously close to a beginning. Here is to hoping that sort of economic collapse never happens again.

kelly617
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:19 AM
1 mom liked this

if you qualify for PA is a good way to know

I know you can FEEL poor without actually being poor...I feel that way...after I pay all the bills and groceries and gas and stuff we don't have a lot left over...but I know we're doing better than a lot of families so I don't complain...much

StevieMarie
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:27 AM

I guess people would classify my household as poor. I grew up in a wealthy home, but I myself am sure not! Lol

We do have extras like nice electronics, decor, and extra clothing and blankets and food. But as far as income, yeah, we are currently poor.

MochaBerry24
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:36 AM
Some American's dont even have the money to eat daily.

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

Americans don't have any idea what "poor" is.
MochaBerry24
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:37 AM
That is a good point. You can definetly feel poor without being poor.

Quoting kelly617:

if you qualify for PA is a good way to know

I know you can FEEL poor without actually being poor...I feel that way...after I pay all the bills and groceries and gas and stuff we don't have a lot left over...but I know we're doing better than a lot of families so I don't complain...much

pce68
by Patti on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:28 AM

I live in Lawrenceville, Ga. That's a suburb north of Atlanta.

Quoting My-mono-twins:

May I ask you a question???? Where do you live? Town? state?

Quoting pce68:

My definition of poor is me, lol. Seriously most people on CM would consider me poor and the govt considers me poor but I have seen people a lot worse off than me. I guess  when you can't pay all of your bills each month, and I'm talking about necessary bills, not credit cards, and luxury car payments, and that sort of thing. When buying groceries is a struggle. When you need help to pay the rent or electricity. When you are counting out pennies to see if you can come up with enough to buy 3 gallons of gas. When you only have enough food for your kids so you do without. When you wear the same ugly coat that you have had for 20 years bc you can't afford to buy a new one.

1CopaceticMama
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:42 AM

This is us too. My family is on a super tight budget. When we didn't get our FS this month is turned us upside down. I only eat a little bit of dinner and drink lots of water to keep going so my kids can eat. I have less than 1/4 tank of gas and a whole week before my husbands payday. The only place I drive is to the school and back since it is in the neg temps. Its too cold for my kids to walk. I'm hoping like hades we can make it to the next payday.

I hope you do too <3

Quoting pce68:

My definition of poor is me, lol. Seriously most people on CM would consider me poor and the govt considers me poor but I have seen people a lot worse off than me. I guess  when you can't pay all of your bills each month, and I'm talking about necessary bills, not credit cards, and luxury car payments, and that sort of thing. When buying groceries is a struggle. When you need help to pay the rent or electricity. When you are counting out pennies to see if you can come up with enough to buy 3 gallons of gas. When you only have enough food for your kids so you do without. When you wear the same ugly coat that you have had for 20 years bc you can't afford to buy a new one.

auntietotty
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:44 AM

I think of truly poor people in America as the "children of the mountains"...the people in the Appalachian mountains...no water, electricity, in shacks. The documentaries Ive watched about these people are disturbing and sad. Sometimes they are also termed "America's Forgotten People".

Truly "poor" people dont have internet. 

Someone mentioned you are poor when you live paycheck to paycheck. If you have a paycheck...you aren't "poor".

Of course I also agree if you cant provide food and shelter and necessities for your family you are indeed poor....but so many people's definition of poor varies. I know mine does.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)