Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Hey Moms, how is your relationship with your own mother? How has it changed since you became a mom?

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:33 AM
  • 48 Replies
1 mom liked this

Growing up I thought my mother was the worst. She was so strict and unyielding. I felt like she didn't listen to me. When I was really little she was great, but about the time I hit 9 and on until after I was 20 it wasn't the greatest relationship. If I didn't get A's and B's on my report cards I got lectures and groundings. If I whined about things I got extra chores. She spanked us as kids, but only when we'd really done something wrong. However, she was also one of our greatest supporters. If we wanted to join a sport she encouraged us. She also showed excitement for our talents (mine is writing) and she would do little things to ecourage us to keep working on our talents. My oldest brother is a perfectionist but also loved to be artistic. He'd draw these really complex designs and patterns and so my mother would buy him the supplies to do it with and scoured our town for a book about that type of art to show my brother that a career could be had from it, if he so chose to go that path. Me, she found writing classes for, paid for them, and encouraged me in my writing at all times.

About a year before I met my DH my mom and I started becoming close and she is now one of my best friends. I love to just hang out and talk with her. In fact, we talk on the phone almost every day. Since I've become a mom 5 years ago I've come to see why she was strict and how that kept me in line. I don't plan on following exactly in her footsteps, but I do take her advice and think it over. Sometimes it works for my family, sometimes it isn't right for us, but I rarely outright ignore her advice. I'm not as strict as she was, my SD doesn't have nearly as many chores as I did at her age, and sometimes I think I am being too soft, but I also firmly believe that kids need to be kids...not little house slaves. I definitely encourage and support my kiddos the way my mother did us.

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LiesLiesLies
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:34 AM
I don't talk to my biological...she is a loser and I won't even add "mother" in there.

My MIL is my mom and our relationship gets stronger and better daily. She is my best friend.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:35 AM
1 mom liked this

My mom was my bff. But she died from breast cancer, 11 years ago.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:36 AM
My mom and I didn't have a good relationship until I was about 8mo pregnant, and she was in and out of hospital. I was there for every visit, and I helped take care of her after every surgery. Once my dd was born mom and I became really close.
melakay1981
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Me and my mom have always been very close.  We talk on the phone a few times a day and visit frequently.  She is a wonderful grandmother who is extremely involved with her grandchildren.  Not saying we never get on each others nerves but the majority of the time we get along.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:36 AM
Egg donor?

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

I don't talk to my biological...she is a loser and I won't even add "mother" in there.

My MIL is my mom and our relationship gets stronger and better daily. She is my best friend.

LiesLiesLies
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:36 AM
Perfect:)

Quoting Anonymous:

Egg donor?

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

Yurixsi
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Never had a good relacionship witj my mom.. Problely never will
cali_angel_girl
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Me and my mom have always had a close relationship and I think after I had kids we got even closer.

opal10161973
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:38 AM

My Mom is a narcissist, so it's all about her and I have to keep her at arm's length in order to deal with her most of the time.  However, she has gotten better as the years go on and I have learned to forgive her for a lot of the crap she put me through. 

Talk to her every day?  Nope, but we do talk about once every couple of weeks or so. 

Fields456
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:38 AM
My mom is my best friend We had some rough years during high school we became closer when I moved out and went to college and when I it pregnant with my dd at 19 we became super close I am also really close with my stepmom. And they have finally become friends
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)