Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Edit: Thanks About ready to bop my dh - baby naming....

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:09 AM
  • 37 Replies

DH and I are expectng our first child July 1st. We have a gender scan coming up to find out gender, but have discovered that we cannot agree on almost any names. We have a girl name we both like, but he dislikes the spelling.....enough for him to say maybe we should come up with another one. Since we started ttc, I knew tha if we had a boy that I was in love with the name Kiaran and dh hates it! He has come up with other ideas, but I just don't like any as much as Kiaran and I came up with more and he doesn't like them.......

Grrr.....how did you guys ever settle on a name?

Edit:

Thank you all for sharing your stories and ideas with me on baby naming. I think we are going to start again and write out all the names we like and compare again. We have our gender scan in 6 days so hopefully if we find out gender that will help narrow down ideas. 

LOL and for the person who asked about how to pronounce. KEER - IN (basically) :)

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:27 AM

We talked until we found one we both were ok with. We didn't get the ones we loved but we agreed on them. We both wanted the initials A R because those are our initials so that narrowed our choices. 

rrs256
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:30 AM

why don't you guys look at babynames.com or go through the bible?

Jamie1972
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:41 AM

We compromised after vetoing each boy name the other one suggested. I wanted Benjamin Caleb and dh want Bingham Taylor. With our oldest I kept the Taylor but I couldnt subject him to the name Bingham. Dh didnt want ppl to call him Benjy lol. So in the end after reading the baby name book for the 10000 time I found a name that fi with Taylor and dh liked it. With our second we knew we were going to name him after our dads. ANd my mom told me the name she had always wanted to name me. We used the first name but found a different middle for our dd.

jakesmom323
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:48 AM
1 mom liked this
I made a huge list and would bring up ideas all up to the gender reveal. Having a name really helped me connect with the baby. My husband's initials are what we used and his family's middle name after 5 generations. Jake Taylor. My second son I swore on anything that it was a girl and cried during my u/s when I saw a pee pee. Luke was on my list a long time ago (my initial) and my DH said it out of the blue, " What about Luke?" it made me so happy and it felt right. It took 3 days to soak in but so happy to have a sweet baby boy. Boys are just great, seriously. You'll just know when it's right;) Congrats.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
happy41ce
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:49 AM
My ex husband and I agreed easily with my other 4 kids.. I'm remarried and having my husbands first and we CANNOT agree on anything!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:51 AM
It was easy. I said "this is her name" and he said ok.
raczac
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:51 AM
Our boys are adopted we changed our oldest name completly he is named after my grandfather and daddy his name is Ryland Alan and our youngest already new his first name so we kept that and changed his .middle name his name is Zachary Alexander. They both know they ate adopted and our oldest asked what his name was before we changed it we told him and he said mommy I'm so glad you changed .my name. I asked why he said because kids would have been calling .him Thomas the train he is 7. Good luck on picking .out .a name if they had been girls it.would have been harder to pick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Steph_G.
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:59 AM

with our first we went back and forth, I like very traditional names, and my husband likes less common names. I tried to compromise by putting a less common middle name. Up until the day she was born we had only had it narrowed down to two names, then after she was born and they were asking my husband want to put on the birth certificate he was like "Are we going with Rebecca Paige" and I was like sounds good, it didn't really seem worth arguing about at that point. I am really happy with her name, but when she was about 4 months old my husband said "This sucks noone ever uses her middle name" So this time around I don't think I can pull that trick again. We are currently getting no where on a boy name.

Mamasgirl524
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:02 AM
We haven't. I'm having a nameless baby in 5 weeks.
BelindaDuvessa
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:06 AM

With my now 3 week old daughter, we fought on a name up until the day I was induced.  With our 18 month old dd, he had a name he was dead set on, so I let him name her.  The oldest boy, ds7, we couldn't agree on a name, so he has 2 middle names, and ds5, I named but we at least agreed on the middle name.  It takes trial and error for some of them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)