Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Edit: Thanks About ready to bop my dh - baby naming....

Posted by   + Show Post

DH and I are expectng our first child July 1st. We have a gender scan coming up to find out gender, but have discovered that we cannot agree on almost any names. We have a girl name we both like, but he dislikes the spelling.....enough for him to say maybe we should come up with another one. Since we started ttc, I knew tha if we had a boy that I was in love with the name Kiaran and dh hates it! He has come up with other ideas, but I just don't like any as much as Kiaran and I came up with more and he doesn't like them.......

Grrr.....how did you guys ever settle on a name?

Edit:

Thank you all for sharing your stories and ideas with me on baby naming. I think we are going to start again and write out all the names we like and compare again. We have our gender scan in 6 days so hopefully if we find out gender that will help narrow down ideas. 

LOL and for the person who asked about how to pronounce. KEER - IN (basically) :)

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:09 AM
Replies (21-30):
KaroGreenly
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:53 PM

DH picked first names, I picked middle names. We each had veto power over the other.

What we did with dd1 was DH went through a baby name book and highlighted all of the names that he liked, I then vetoed about half of them. The remaining names (15-20), we wrote down. We then looked to see how they sounded with the middle name I picked (her middle name is my friend's middle name). A few didn't sound good with the middle name and were vetoed by both of us. Then, DH picked the one he liked best from the remaining names. 

When we got pregnant with dd2, he already knew what he wanted to name her, so we went through the same process with the middle name.

ksueditz
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:03 PM
W/ my oldest son, my ex liked the name Tyler Jacob and i liked Jacob Tyler. I didn't want him to be called Jake so we went w/ Tyler.

W/ my 2nd son, I liked Brendan and exdh didn't so we changed it to Brandon.

W/ my oldest 2 girls we each chose a family name. Except dd8's first name was Emma no matter what.

When we were pg w/ dd3 dh wanted a boy so bad, but wouldn't settle on a girl name. When we went in for u/s, I gave him the 4 girl names I picked out. I made him choose one, or I wasn't going to find out the sex.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
daughteroftruth
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:16 PM

It just always felt right to have him name the kids.  I'm mom.. you know, that bond is there well before the child is born.  Sometimes it feels like dads are kind of.. idk. second place when it comes to baby's and child rearing.  During the pregnancies, its usually all about mom and baby. Sure, dh talked to the babies while they were growing inside of me.. but there is that bond between mother and child that is.. well different.  I can definitely tell that by dh having that one special role that it means more then anything to him.  I have carried then and given them "life" (so to speak).. and he gives them their name.  

Its just always felt right for us to do it this way.  And dh does an amazing job.  He doesnt' just pick out names, he chooses names with meanings that mean something.  He puts a lot of thought and consideration into the whole process.  This little one we are expecting in March dh is tossed between two names.. Shannon Elise (old river of wisdom and oath), and Shannon Leigh (river of wisdom from the valley).. Shannon was also his grandmothers name, a women both he and I adored, His grandpa passed this November and his name was lee.. so I have a feeling that he will be choosing Shannon Leigh.  

Quoting Always1222:

That is very interesting. Not to be nosy, but I was wondering why you guys have this system?

Quoting daughteroftruth:

We didnt settle. Dh named all five of our children and he will name our daughter when she gets here.

trailerrrtrash
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:23 PM

We compromised. I liked Isabella and he liked Bella, so her name is Isabella and we call her Bella for short.

He liked Evie and I did, too, but I wanted it to be short for something. It sounds like a nickname to me. I liked Evangeline and he hated it. He liked Evelyn and I hated that...so we picked something totally different. The only thing I hate about what we picked is everyone asks us if we named her from Twilight. I've never read the books or seen the movies.

With my other kids with my ex, we picked family names. It was easy to agree on.

zomgkerrie
by Geek Goddess on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:26 PM

we both made lists of names we liked privately. we joined forces and put the names that were on both our lists onto a separate list and chose from there.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:27 PM
That's us. With our dd we couldn't agree. We got all kinds of books and searched the web for names. The name she ended up with was one I didn't even like at first. But it grew on me. This time it wasn't that hard. He loved a name and after saying it for a week it grew on me too. However dh thinks we should have a couple of names picked out and when ds arrives then pick one. Idk, we have a hard time agreeing.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I carried the child, I went through labor and delivery with the child.....I named ALL of my children/grandchildren (even though I didn't carry them, lol)

Willis_Mommie
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:30 PM
we keep.names.in the family and i let dh name.the.boys.and if i would have had any.girls i would have.named.them...we.only had.boys and i.love it....my dh.picked.out.great.names too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KyrinM
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Some friends of mine argued about names all the way through labor & beyond, their first son Evan wasn't named until he was like 3 hours old, it was hilarious.  Because they had been going through a baby name book for months at that point & the list should have been narrowed down by then.  Funny thing, their second son was named Jack, which when you research Evan & Jack, both are forms of the same name.  I thought that was really funny too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:32 PM

How do you even pronounce that piece of crap boys name?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)