Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Edit: Thanks About ready to bop my dh - baby naming....

Posted by   + Show Post

DH and I are expectng our first child July 1st. We have a gender scan coming up to find out gender, but have discovered that we cannot agree on almost any names. We have a girl name we both like, but he dislikes the spelling.....enough for him to say maybe we should come up with another one. Since we started ttc, I knew tha if we had a boy that I was in love with the name Kiaran and dh hates it! He has come up with other ideas, but I just don't like any as much as Kiaran and I came up with more and he doesn't like them.......

Grrr.....how did you guys ever settle on a name?

Edit:

Thank you all for sharing your stories and ideas with me on baby naming. I think we are going to start again and write out all the names we like and compare again. We have our gender scan in 6 days so hopefully if we find out gender that will help narrow down ideas. 

LOL and for the person who asked about how to pronounce. KEER - IN (basically) :)

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:09 AM
Replies (31-37):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Both make a list of 30 names you like and compare.... You are bound to have at least 1-2 names that are the same or similar. It won't be either of your favorite but you'll both like it. And since you both vetoed each others picks already favorites are out anyway.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
C.S.K.L
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:38 PM
My first 3 with my XH I picked the names he could have cared less, my DH (our son is 5 months) we sat down and made a list then we t through and crossed the ones we didn't agree on, next step was the initials(how they look), next step writing the full name in printed and cursive, last step the name game( making sure nothing hurt full can rhyme with the name) then listing it in order by age with the siblings names and making sure it doesn't sound off. The end result one name pure gender that we both liked
kappalopokis
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Name him Kiaran Matthew and call him Matt... 

Quoting Always1222:

Lol I tried this....the problem is he is more versatile when it comes to girl names, but he picks really traditional boy names. The names he picks are't bad names they just don't immediately make me think this will be there names. He and I picked Caitlyn for a girl and he picked Isabelle for the middle name. For a boy I wanted Kiaran, but he says total no-go (His names picked wered, Matthew, Gideon, Eli)

Quoting AnastasiaKorsh:

I made a list, he crossed out the ones he didn't like. If there was a name I was adament about, I brought it up every few months.

kappalopokis
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:44 PM

My DH and his ex wife named both of my stepkids, obviously. I'm pretty sure ex named my stepdaughter. I know DH named my step son.  I HATE my step son's name. Always have.

DH, for now, says absolutely no more babies.  He'd rather divorce me than have a child with me.

If he ever changes his mind... I intend to name our child whatever I please.  Since he's already gotten to name 2.  BUT, I know he's got this thing about wanting the names to be biblical, so I'd pick one from the bible. 

AnastasiaKorsh
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe you can find a traditional name you both like to use as a middle name? And you can have the pick of the first name?

Or the other way around, traditinal name first, and your name pick second.

When I made the list of name, I didn't even bother to ask what kind of names SO wanted on there. He had to choose from the list I gave him. Maybe I'm too hard headed though. lol

Quoting Always1222:

Lol I tried this....the problem is he is more versatile when it comes to girl names, but he picks really traditional boy names. The names he picks are't bad names they just don't immediately make me think this will be there names. He and I picked Caitlyn for a girl and he picked Isabelle for the middle name. For a boy I wanted Kiaran, but he says total no-go (His names picked wered, Matthew, Gideon, Eli)

Quoting AnastasiaKorsh:

I made a list, he crossed out the ones he didn't like. If there was a name I was adament about, I brought it up every few months.

muzzyh
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this
My feeling is: I give up alcohol, most (I couldn't do all) caffeine, and, because of gestational diabetes, cookies/brownies/candy/potatoes/most fruit, sleep uncomfortably, barf all the time, have horrid body acne, and gain- and then try to lose- 35 lbs. I get to name the baby. My stbx disagreed. Then he watched me give birth, and I got to name both our kids.
Always1222
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:03 PM

LOL, well that is a good arguement. :)

Quoting muzzyh:

My feeling is: I give up alcohol, most (I couldn't do all) caffeine, and, because of gestational diabetes, cookies/brownies/candy/potatoes/most fruit, sleep uncomfortably, barf all the time, have horrid body acne, and gain- and then try to lose- 35 lbs. I get to name the baby. My stbx disagreed. Then he watched me give birth, and I got to name both our kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN