Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Daycare costs is eating a hole in my wallet

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 42 Replies

SO and I both work full time 40 hrs(1st shift 7-3) and week and that's the amount of time our LO is in daycare. He's 3 months old. No family members can watch him. Only ones that could would've been our mothers but both are in heaven. My step mom works part time but dedicates her time to her Jehovah's witness studies and baby sits her 2 year old grandson. My dad works 1st shift. SO sometimes works 2nd shift but can't drop off our son because he has a 2 door truck that he may soon be loosing,(he's had the truck for many years and couldn't trade it in because his ex refuses to sign off on it) it'll be repo'd by the end of the month or beginning of Feb. We don't know what date since our phones have been shut off. my other son is 8 yrs old and is already getting child care assistance and so my co pay is only $34 a week since he's school age and the daycare bus takes him back and forth to and from school. Our baby is still on the waiting list and we have to pay privately. He's fee $150 a week. My work schedule is steady unlike SO's. He'll have off random days, but always on a sunday since his work is always closed those days and he'll have off one day during the week. I hope the daycare would understand, though I have my baby assigned full time but until he gets on the assistance I'd rather have him in less than 5 days a week when his dad has off a day in the week if possible without it being a problem. I only have weekends off. It's hard because people assume you'll have lots of money saved up during unpaid maternity leave and when you return to work depending on what day it lands on the week of payday, it'll be less of a paycheck the first week until the next. We both get paid bi weekly. I'll be earning less since I now have both kids on my medical insurance and it's $60 taken out of my net total. SO has crappy insurance, you have to pay out of your pocket til a certain amount and then be eligible for paying co pays. Don't ask, it sucks. Altogether with both kids it's costing me $184 a week. It's like paying for a second apartment, our rent is $750 a month. SO has been trying for months on end to look for a better paying job. I don't know for sure how much less we'll be paying once our baby gets the funds available for assistance, I didn't start my older child in daycare til he was 3 yrs old but that was before the recession.    

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mmtosam06
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:14 AM
I'm sorry have you guys thought about gettimg outside the box for babysitters? Its an honest question try www.sittercity.com or www.care.com. Or have you guys thought of a nanny?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:18 AM
3 moms liked this

you were already getting assistance, and then had another baby???? wow.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I understand times are hard.....but why did you have another baby when you could not afford to send the first to daycare without help? Have you done the math to see if maybe it would be cheaper if one of you stopped working all together? I mean you are spending 700 a month on daycare so you can go to work. Are there things you could cut that would help make up the rest of one of your paychecks?

Mrs.Fus29
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:24 AM
2 moms liked this

SHUT UP! I am sure she did not post this for you to be negative.

Quoting Anonymous:

Daisypath - (5Kco)

Mrs.Fus29
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:25 AM

How long does the wait list take?  I live in Texas and I believe it takes about 6 wks.

Daisypath - (5Kco)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:30 AM
5 moms liked this

She was being honest...as was I. There are some of us who cannot fathom why people continue to have children that others have to pay for. While times are hard...and sometimes people need help....adding another baby to the mix when they were already getting help taking care of the first was an unwise and selfish decision.

Quoting Mrs.Fus29:

Quoting Anonymous:

MommyAddie
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:32 AM
4 moms liked this
Usually I agree with that a little bit, but in this case, they are both working, they even provide insurance- daycare is expensive, this is exactly the type of mom who we should give assistance to.

I'm sorry you're struggling right now. I would check on a private sitter while your paying out of pocket.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:35 AM
Mine too! I pay $1,040 a month! :(
Mrs.Fus29
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I hear ya, at the same time, who are we to start saying what she should have done?  The child is already here there is no need for you to beat her down about having a second child.  Try offering positive solutions. 

Quoting Anonymous:

She was being honest...as was I. There are some of us who cannot fathom why people continue to have children that others have to pay for. While times are hard...and sometimes people need help....adding another baby to the mix when they were already getting help taking care of the first was an unwise and selfish decision.

Quoting Mrs.Fus29:

Quoting Anonymous:

Daisypath - (5Kco)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:36 AM
You don't even know the circumstances of her being pregnant the second time. Everyone just assumes she was being careless and jumping up on the pogo stick. There may be more to the story then her honestly being careless.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Mrs.Fus29:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)