Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I just had "the talk" with my daughter

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:12 AM
  • 23 Replies
5 moms liked this
My dd turned 10 today and since we were both up pretty early I thought it would be a good time to chat about growing up a little more. We were going over puberty again and I asked her if she understood what it meant when she started getting her period and her reply was "yeah I will have to start using condoms and stuff". Lol. After I recovered from my heart attack I found out she thought condoms were feminine heigene products. Oh so much to talk about...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-KC-
by Honesty on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:14 AM
That's funny! lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
January1964
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Oh, she sounds adorable! Glad you're there to clarify these things.

Mommy980106
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:17 AM
Haha!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:18 AM
Yikes. Good thing you clairfied that. My daughter is 6 and has known about tampons since she was 2.
mandella79
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:21 AM
Yeah, you should have seen her face when I told her what condoms were. It was hard not to laugh but I managed (barely).

Quoting Anonymous:

Yikes. Good thing you clairfied that. My daughter is 6 and has known about tampons since she was 2.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
robyann
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Awl that is so cute :)

MamaMoopsie
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Was it hard for you? I mean, I dreaded it, but when it finally came up...it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be. Like your daughter, mine had a lot of misconceptions. Someone told her that if you sleep in the same bed with another girl you're a lesbian and that two women having sex (which she wasn't fully clear on how it worked with a man and a woman) could result in pregnancy. She was afraid to share a bed with her little sisters when we travel! She also asked some pretty funny questions.

At the time she'd seen me go through three pregnancies and when my husband and I said "You don't always get pregnant, there are ways to prevent it," she was like "So why didn't you?" Not that she doesn't like her sisters, but I had all three of them really close together (my youngest three were born in 2009, 2010, and 2011). That's when we got to tell her that just because birth control is supposed to prevent pregnancy it isn't 100% effective, which is why she shouldn't have sex until after she becomes an adult.

kaiser10123
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:25 AM
Oh that's cute! I have two boys so no period talk for me :)
MamaMoopsie
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:26 AM

I don't use tampons, they make my insides hurt. However, my daughters (my little ones anyway) call pads my "grown up diapers." lol

Quoting Anonymous:

jbirdsladie27
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:29 AM
Great heart attack to start your day!! LOL
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured