Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Women on the front lines?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
How do you feel about women being on the front lines in our military? I'm not 100% against it. I do think that there are some jobs they could open up to women in addition to the ones they already offer. The infantry positions I don't really agree with though. What are your thoughts?

I'm only asking because I saw on the news this morning that they're changing the laws to allow women into most of the "female restricted" career choices & I was a little surprised! Lol.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Replies (241-250):
brandydesiree
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Okay....when I first heard this, I was all for it and very excited actually. I am an OIF-II vet, and I while I was in Iraq, I found that women were already in some support positions that should've constituted as combat. However, now the more I think about it, the more I am against the idea. I'm sorry ladies, but the truth is we are NOT strong enough. Yea, yea, I know women can fire a weapon just as efficiently, but can she carry that almost 9lb weapon, with a full flack jacket, including sappy plates, kevalar helmet and possibly a 60-100lb pack on her back...and still keep up with her male counterparts? In reality....not many of us could. It puts females in danger...and when you have females in danger, you have the male instinct to protect her.

I think it is a noble idea, equality and stuff...but sometimes are better left un-equal.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 41 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:30 PM
If they're capable of everything the task entails, then great. I couldn't do it. There's no way I could lift some big heavy guy or something like that... But I've no doubt some women can do it.

Ps- I'm watching Mulan right now. She's kickin' ass and takin' names!
jenna30
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Well, every woman can´t do it, just as every man can´t either. But if a woman meet the same criteria as a man, then she should have the opportunity

Quoting brandydesiree:

Okay....when I first heard this, I was all for it and very excited actually. I am an OIF-II vet, and I while I was in Iraq, I found that women were already in some support positions that should've constituted as combat. However, now the more I think about it, the more I am against the idea. I'm sorry ladies, but the truth is we are NOT strong enough. Yea, yea, I know women can fire a weapon just as efficiently, but can she carry that almost 9lb weapon, with a full flack jacket, including sappy plates, kevalar helmet and possibly a 60-100lb pack on her back...and still keep up with her male counterparts? In reality....not many of us could. It puts females in danger...and when you have females in danger, you have the male instinct to protect her.

I think it is a noble idea, equality and stuff...but sometimes are better left un-equal.

jenna30
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Slaves to men? In the military all are equal, it´s your rank that´s important not whether you are man or woman. Some women outrank men, do you say that those outranked men are slaves? ;)

Quoting wulfeyes05:

Quoting pattya925:

Yeah and it's one of those things I think they shouldn't be doing. I'm sure someone in here will tell me I'm not very good at advocating for women and blah blah blah, but I don't really care. I don't think women should roll over and be slaves to men and all that.

Lovemyfamilyof8
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I have always felt women should be held to the same standards as men if they wanna join. NO drafting due to family and kids. I think women who chose to join should be game for all or nothing.... I am a military wife... BTW

brandydesiree
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:44 PM

So, you change the law of the land, and put the safety of our country in danger for the ability of a few? It is a fact that men are stronger than women. Even sub-standard male soldiers, could out run the majority of female soldiers. If we can't even be expected to test on the same level as males on PRT's, in a safe zone, then how the hell is it expected that we can compete with them in a hostile situation? I bet less than 1% of females have the ability to actually keep up with the men. But, lets change the entire system for that 1%.

Quoting jenna30:

Well, every woman can´t do it, just as every man can´t either. But if a woman meet the same criteria as a man, then she should have the opportunity

Quoting brandydesiree:

jenna30
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Yes, if we want to be a country with equal rights for men and women we have to change the system for those 1 %:)

Quoting brandydesiree:

So, you change the law of the land, and put the safety of our country in danger for the ability of a few? It is a fact that men are stronger than women. Even sub-standard male soldiers, could out run the majority of female soldiers. If we can't even be expected to test on the same level as males on PRT's, in a safe zone, then how the hell is it expected that we can compete with them in a hostile situation? I bet less than 1% of females have the ability to actually keep up with the men. But, lets change the entire system for that 1%.

Quoting jenna30:

Quoting brandydesiree:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 42 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Glad my DH isn't in the military!!
I'd worry if women slept in the same bunkers at a high stress job for months at a time.
wulfeyes05
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Quoting jenna30:

Maybe we could all be slaves to each other and call it even lol. I mean to say that sure women can do anything a man can do,they should be treated with just as much respect and all that, but being out there getting shot at is somewhat idiotic to me. Especially if they have kids at home.
rosaleeandtwo
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:47 PM

With the amount of rapes and sexual assaults that already go on against women in the military, its not ever something I'd want for myself or my DD.  But I agree with them having the right to do so if they are fit for duty.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)