Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Women on the front lines?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
How do you feel about women being on the front lines in our military? I'm not 100% against it. I do think that there are some jobs they could open up to women in addition to the ones they already offer. The infantry positions I don't really agree with though. What are your thoughts?

I'm only asking because I saw on the news this morning that they're changing the laws to allow women into most of the "female restricted" career choices & I was a little surprised! Lol.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Women are built and wired differently then men.  No they should not be out there.

jas_momof2
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Why?  I'm just curious... 

Quoting Anonymous:

We probably have an unpopular opinion, but I don't think the standards should be adjusted either.

Quoting Anonymous:

They shouldn't change a damn thing.

Quoting o0gone0o:

I think they will have to change some standards to make it even between men and women going into those jobs.

klespeedy0205
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this
This. I was in the Army. The men get protective. I don't think women should be on the front lines.

Quoting wickedfiress:

I don't question the ability of some women to do the job. I question the ability of some men to not become overly protective/possessive of the women and stay focused on their own job, rather than keeping the women safe. Some men cannot accept that a woman does not need him to protect her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LadySlimm
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:17 AM
I wanted to be a combat medic...but they wouldnt let me. I wanted to be out there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcwife86
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

this applies to so many jobs out there not just rifleman. it affects the promotion ladder and that is not fair at all. each branch will be able to put its own restrictions up though in this and decide how they are going to implement it but it is still a great step to open up a level playing field for women int he military. here is a part of an article in the armytimes.

The Army opened most jobs to women more than a decade ago. But combat-exclusion policies still prohibit women from serving in certain tactical and operational career fields, such as infantry and armor. Today, 9 percent of Army and 8 percent of Marine Corps occupations are closed to women. In comparison, 6 percent of Navy, 1 percent of Air Force and no Coast Guard occupations are closed to women.

Women serving in the remaining career fields often lose key assignments because they can’t be assigned to the units or jobs most likely to see direct offensive ground combat. When this restriction is added to the mix, only 70 percent of Army positions and 62 percent of Marine Corps positions are open to women, according to the Military Leadership Diversity Commission’s March 15 report, “From Representation to Inclusion: Diversity Leadership for the 21st-Century Military.”

These lost opportunities have a lasting effect. Today, 80 percent of general officers come from the tactical and operational career fields that are closed to women. Just one female soldier was selected for brigadier general in 2010, out of 100 military officiers chosen in all the services. Only 24 of the Army’s 403 general officers — or 6 percent — are female, though women represent roughly 15 percent of the force.

And these effects are felt all the way down the chain of command.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/04/army-women-in-combat-041711w/

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:18 AM
That is due to our stupid culture and their ass backward thinking. Thankfully those ideas are becoming less and less prevalent. I'm grateful that by the time my grand kids are married these (my dd is 4) these silly thoughts will be as laughable as racial segregation and anyone who follows them are looked down upon as crazy loons, like the KKK (eta: women shouldn't be punished either for a mans lack of ability to step out of hindering gender roles and intelligence)

Quoting CM_Junkie:

My husbands view was if there is a child with a in in his hand will they hesitate? What about all of the other hundreds of conflicting situations. If a man is holding a child as a Shield do ou second guess your ability to shoot past the child or do you trust our ability? Their are few women who wouldn't second guess. I know I would. Even my husbands cowork said she would. There are so many issues with this and I'm hoping they don't just jump right in without this slowly being put in to action. Even my husband admitted most of the guys he knew would put the women in the talk trying to protect them.

Quoting MaileysMommy:

Quoting wickedfiress:

I don't question the ability of some women to do the job. I question the ability of some men to not become overly protective/possessive of the women and stay focused on their own job, rather than keeping the women safe. Some men cannot accept that a woman does not need him to protect her.

My Dh is Ex Army. This is exactly what he said. I agree. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I have an unpopular opinion, but I'm not really for putting women in the frontline.

Oh I know that women have fought long and hard for rights and for equality, but I don't agree with allowing them in the frontlines.  There ARE a few jobs where they are there, but opening it up almost completely is not really something I was always for.  Part of it is that a man's natural instinct is to protect the female and regardless of what ANYONE says, when it comes down to it, in times of pressure and stress, they have a tendency to act on instinct and I think it may cause conflict.

We don't have anything to prove and should not have to by fighting on the front lines.  So many women see it as a "I'm just as good as any man" and I think that sometimes that's the wrong way of thinking.  It's kinda shooting yourself in the foot.

lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Well I guess if they feel they are big and bad enough, let them have at it!

MommaTasha1003
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Women have the same capabilites as men...

Women should have the right to be in the Military.. I do fear men taking advantage of them (both alli & enemy) but that is for them to think about, not us as a society to control... Really its sad we have to protect women from men- should we not trust our soldiers!? Its really kinda sad laws are made like this because as adults we may not be able to control ourself sexually or be able to "keep it professional".

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Yup. Protecting your rights being big and bad :)

Quoting lapcounter:

Well I guess if they feel they are big and bad enough, let them have at it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)