Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Family trip to Chicago...

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:18 AM
  • 19 Replies
We are taking our kids to Chicago this spring for a long weekend. We will he driving as it is only 6 hours away. We are using timeshares and staying right on the lake and downtown.

Ladies from Chicago!!! What should we see that is fun for the whole family? I was planning for the zoo and I am looking into museums. What are some cool restaurants? Any neat cheap or free attractions? Cool movie theaters? Neat parks? Anything cool educational?

I am somewhat of a cheap mom... so I am not looking to put out thousands. But, I do have a few dollars to spend so if there is something way out of this world, I am willing to drop $$$. So, while I am mostly looking for more inexpensive I have put out up to $500 in a day. I just hate to. Know what I mean? We aren't RICH people but I want to make the experience as unique and memorable as possible...

So... Ideas!? Thoughts!? Any place that is really something to steer clear of!?

My kids are 14, 13, 4 and 3. Our interests are animals, science, art, fun, and I love history and nature.

Also, my son and I lived in Chicago for a couple of years about 10 years ago. We didn't get out much cuz I was a single mom, broke and a full time student but we would take the trains once in a while. The big thing I remember was there was a very nice train that we took into Union station... and then we ended up on a super creepy train one time too, at dusk! IT WAS SCARY. It was on the south side of Chicago! Any train advice would be cool too! I really want to use them cuz other than my son and I, no one has been on trains, subways, ect... so we are going to utilize those means of transportation just for the experience! Thanks!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anotherandree
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I grew in NW Indiana and we used to go to Chicogo all the time.  I used to LOVE the Museum of Science and Industry as a kid and as I grew up!  SO MUCH cool stuff to see and do!  There is a coal mine and a HUGE heart to crawl around in. So awesome!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:23 AM

If you have girls, I would save up and make a trip to American Girl.

lovnmy3boys
by Paula on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

The zoo...

PhoenixMomof3
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Yup! We have been there and we will be going back! I grew up just north of Wausua, WI so it was a little more rare to get down there but my family traveled a lot so even if we weren't going TO, we were still passing THROUGH and would find neat stuff.

I love Chicago! But I can't wait to get everyone to New York and New Orleans! My son and I have been all over but since I married and we built our family... it is a bit more expensive now! Hahaa! So I have to really plan!
PhoenixMomof3
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Ahhhhh! I thought about that! Hahaa! But they are sooooo expensive! I am torn! They may just win out tho! They both love dolls and they are at that age where it is just LIFE CHANGING! Hahaa! Ya know!?

Quoting Anonymous:

If you have girls, I would save up and make a trip to American Girl.

PhoenixMomof3
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:29 AM
My son and I used to go all the time! HE LOVED IT! We will certainly be going this time too! Thanks!

Quoting lovnmy3boys:

The zoo...

PhoenixMomof3
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Bump!
mom2BOYZnDad
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:37 AM
You can also take a river sightseeing trip on a boat that takes you out on lake Michigan as well. We did that with All our family that traveled up there(14 of us) from AZ, CA and TX. So fun for the kids being on a boat and a great learning experience too.

RK~~
PhoenixMomof3
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Ohhhhh cool! Do you remember how long it was? How much it cost? Was there food?

Quoting mom2BOYZnDad:

You can also take a river sightseeing trip on a boat that takes you out on lake Michigan as well. We did that with All our family that traveled up there(14 of us) from AZ, CA and TX. So fun for the kids being on a boat and a great learning experience too.

RK~~

TresHijas111825
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Legoland Discovery Center! =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN