Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you let your kids call you by your name?

Posted by   + Show Post

Parents Who Let Kids Call Them by Their First Names Are Giving Up Something Special

Posted by Jacqueline Burt on January 23, 2013 

mom shirtI was chatting with another mom friend recently when the topic of kids who call their parents by their first names -- you know, instead of "mom" or "dad." We both agreed that it's sort of cute when little kids fall into the habit accidentally, like a 2-year-old cousin of mine who used to call her dad "Bill." There was just something hilarious about the way her odd choice played into everyday conversation: "And then I went to the park with Mommy and Bill, and then Bill pushed me on the swing, and then Mommy said no ice cream but Bill said okay!"

If you didn't know better, you'd wonder if maybe Mommy wasn't having an affair with this "Bill" character. Anyway, we also agreed that hearing a teen calling her dad "Bill" (or her mom "Kate" or whatever) is a different sort of animal altogether. I'm not sure how I would feel about my 11-year-old, for example, calling me by my first name. On the one hand, what's the big deal?

What difference does it really make? On the other, it's the kind of seemingly trivial thing that can end up meaning so much more.

Some parents I know would take their kid calling them by name as a sign of disrespect, which I guess I understand. But for me, I think it would be more about ... loss. Like being demoted, or something. When you think about it, you're going to call pretty much every single person you meet in your entire life by name. Besides teachers, doctors, dentists, police officers and people in the military or clergy, that is. And even then, there's the possibility of overlap. You might meet more than one Mr. Franklin or Dr. Shapiro over the years ... but in the vast majority of cases, you only get one (maybe two) people designated as Mom or Dad.

I don't want to miss out on being one of those people, especially when I already am one of those people. If you know what I mean. I had the kids. I am a mom. I am THEIR mom. If the shoe fits, call a spade a spade? Oh, you know what I mean.

Would you let your kids call you by your name?

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:54 PM
Replies (21-30):
teal.blaze
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Yep. My name is mom :)

mommamaggi
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Our kids do it sometimes, but they know it bugs us so I think that's why lol. I think it's important for them to know your name though, and them calling you that for a while when they're 2 or 3 is okay, kind of like repeating facts to remember them, because at least they know in case something happens like they wander off in a store and need to get help to find you.

Jessica020410
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Nope
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CorpCityGrl
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:24 PM

No.  Right now DD is 2 and does it sometimes to get our attention, but she doesn't call us by our first names otherwise.  I think there's something special in being called "mom" or "dad" too and would hate to lose that.

chazzamatazz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:25 PM

My oldest is on her 2nd stepfather now, so she calls my husband by his first name - everyone else calls him "Dad" or "Daddy". I wouldn't want my kids to call me anything but Mom, though...

happy-go-lucky
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this
It's not a big deal to me because my step kids (who live with us full time) call me by my name most of the time. My bio kids will copy them sometimes, I know how they feel about me. What name they call me doesn't change that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sandra_t00
by ChaChi on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:29 PM
I used top call my parents by their first name. I was really young though. Like two or three.

My 8 year old calls me by my first name sometimes. He calls me mommythe majority of the time, but calls me by my first when he wants something lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Nope, I am against children calling adults by their first name and definitely against my child calling  me by my first name. I am his mother, not his friend.

GypsyMom2012
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:29 PM

While I would rather my dd call me Mom, I don't have as much of a problem when she calls me by my first name... I guess it would depend on the situation and the child.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I don't mind, it is my name. Everyone else uses it so why shouldn't they?

They have used it in the past but always go back to calling me "mom or mommy".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN