Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

building a manufactured home????? HELP

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:33 PM
  • 48 Replies

At the moment my family and I live in the separate basement apartment below my grandmother's house. We are saving to buy some property to build a manufactured home on in the very small town right next tooursmall town. The land would be out in the sticks, quite literally. We are still considering buying this house ?(in town) from my grandmother but it was built in the 40s and already has some issues, as to be expected. If we did buy this one, we would give the girls the basement area we all share now, and my husband and i wouldhave the upstairs area. We would have to do a little building on to make the outside staircases that lead to the basement "indoors" and more secure to have them down there alone. So, I guess my question is, should we save to buy this house or buy the land and build our manufactured home out in the sticks? How many of you have bought older homes? howmany of you have built manufactured homes? What were your experiences? Any regrets with either? What should I keep in mind when making this decision?

PLEASE HELP!

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
StevieMarie
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:59 PM

BUMP!

luvmyaustin
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:01 PM
Which one is more cost effective for you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this

i havent done either but here are my thoughts. calculate how much the renovations to the old house would be and then consider what things are old and will need updating or could need to be replaced/fixed. Personally I think buying the older home will have lots of unexpected repairs. the manufactured home would be knew and no unexpected costs. I would go with the manufactured home if it were me.

sadiebug1228
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:03 PM
2 moms liked this
I personally would get the manufactured home on some land. With a house that old eventually ur gonna start having problems with foundation or plumbing or something big and it's gonna be expensive. I think in the long run a manufactured home would be less expensive
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SterlingHeart
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:04 PM

No matter what your choice is --- be very smart in choosing nice finishes that can be versitile with other colors and style - for your resale value --- walls can be any color and easily changed but things like countertops, cabinets, floors etc.....  you don't want to pic things so unique it would be a complete RE-do for someone else if you ever decide to move again to a bigger home or whatever 

BabiiYarellie
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Whats a manufactured home ??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StevieMarie
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Not sure yet. We have picked a model thats 2680 sq ft, a double wide its only $84,000 to build. The lot we are looking at is $25,000, so building is a pretty good deal. My grandmothers house was appraised and valued at $110,000 which is great forhow big it is as a whole.I'm just concerned about the additions we would have to put in, and fix ups that pop up along the way, so in the long run, I'm not sure which would cost more in the long run. I've also heard some things about insurance onthe manufactured homes being harder to get. So, its all a big toss up

Quoting luvmyaustin:

Which one is more cost effective for you?

nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:07 PM
My parent built a manufactured home. It was gorgeous. They got to pick everything they wanted from the flooring to the light fixtures. We had gorgeous hardwood and granite. It was my favorite house we lived in :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
StevieMarie
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Like a single wide, double wide, etc. they are usually square or rectanuglar mostly.

Quoting BabiiYarellie:

Whats a manufactured home ??

StevieMarie
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this

That makes a lot of sense. Thans for you help! I'm leaning that way too, I just really want to keep this house in the family. My grandmothers parents built it and Its a big part of our family's history.

Quoting Anonymous:

i havent done either but here are my thoughts. calculate how much the renovations to the old house would be and then consider what things are old and will need updating or could need to be replaced/fixed. Personally I think buying the older home will have lots of unexpected repairs. the manufactured home would be knew and no unexpected costs. I would go with the manufactured home if it were me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)