Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

BORDER CONTROL? Are you crazy?!?!?!?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies

DH is in school to be a cop or something cop-related. ALL of his family is within a half hour drive of us (Illinois). My family is all over the place, so it doesn't really factor in for me.

ANYWAY he asked me today if I would support him if he wanted to MOVE to Texas to join the border patrol force (or whatever it's called). I know it's his dream, but wtf! What should I do or what should I tell him?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Do not do it! It is a shit job, and he will hate it.  Those poor border agents are treated like dirt by the government, and they have less authority than a rent a cop. Plus the Texas Mexico border is icky.

vetNmommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I plan on doing Border Patrol once  my husband retires.  It is a great career.  (I have Military experiance) Border patrol does not mean you all will be "stationed" in Texas.  Just support him.

emilysmom8
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:00 PM

If you dont like the idea have a open minded discussion with him, both of you listen to the other ones pros and cons of moving to Texas and him getting the border patrol job. Hopefully you guys can work things out and make a choice that both of you agree on

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Do you work? Do you have kids?
emilysmom8
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:02 PM

I know a few border patrol officers (I live close to the American/Canadian border) and they all love their job

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

Do not do it! It is a shit job, and he will hate it.  Those poor border agents are treated like dirt by the government, and they have less authority than a rent a cop. Plus the Texas Mexico border is icky.

countrygirlkat
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:04 PM

To me there are two things that make a happy family.  Me and DH and the kids all being together, and him being happy at his job and making what he needs with that job to support us.  I am a SAHM so moving doesn't impact me in terms of jobs.  I have been close to family but had DH in a job that made him miserable and although he tried to hide it when he is miserable we are all miserable as a family.  I have moved far from family for a job DH loves and with him being happy it made our whole family happier.  You can always visit family but to have to go to a job day in and day out you don't love impacts every aspect of your lives. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:04 PM
The Texas Mexican border is dangerous los zetas don't play.
Sweets32285
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I live like 3 miles from Border Patrol station in San Diego County.  I don't know if i'd want to do that job.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I hate Texas, but if I chose to marry a man with a dream of being a border patrol agent I would expect to move to a state on a border at some point.  That seems logical.  Can you talk him into moving to southern california or other border state if you hate Texas?

Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:15 PM

The Canadian border is vastly different. 

Quoting emilysmom8:

I know a few border patrol officers (I live close to the American/Canadian border) and they all love their job

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN