Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

And you expect me sleep after hearing that?!?!?! (vent) ***updated***

Posted by   + Show Post

Back story... My husband is military and we are currently stationed in Italy... Love it here to visit, not to live... There are this group of people called "gypsies" that break into houses and steal stuff, not come in and harm you, but come in for $$$ and items they can sell for $$$...

So my husband calls me today saying that the Carabineri are going to be stopping by our house to look at/take pictures of our gate because someone drew a chalk symbol on it... There was also a drawing on our back window of the car that they were lookin into... I guess my husband got in the car this morning only to find the gas light on (we had 1/2 a tank last night), so he went to the MPs to report it... They looked at the car and saw the symbol and looked it up to see what it matched to...

It has been raining so the mark on our gate was washed away, but I remembered what it looked like so I drew it for them... They look over their info and come to find out it means "doctors house"... My husband works at the clinic on base, not a doctor, but still, he works in a doctors office!!! The symbol on our car means "single female that drives alone"... The scary thing is that attached to the symbol on our car is a symbol that means "use crowbar only"... Umm WTF!!!

My husband was told not to tell me because they didn't want me to freak out... Ummm hello, we had gas stolen from our car and mysterious symbols drawn on our property, how am I not going to be freaked out?... He told me anyways because he wanted me to be aware of my surroundings and to watch everything... Now it is midnight and every sound I hear is keeping me on edge... How am I supposed to sleep now? Ugh... Sorry, just wanted to vent :(

***UPDATE***

Thank you all for your suggestions and words of wisdom... We do not have on base housing avaliable, unfortunately, so we have to live off base... We are about 30 mins away from base... We cannot have any weapons of any kind because it violates our SOFA and we have to obey the local national laws... We have been looking for a dog since we got here, but they are expensive, so we are waiting for someone with a dog that is PCSing and doesn't want to take their dog with them... Happens a lot...

We are taking extra precautions and have told my 5 year old to make sure mommy or daddy are with her when she opens the door (she likes to think everyone at the door is her friends)... I carry an umbrella anyways, but it isn't a pointy one, so I will be getting a super pointy one... As far as marking our house, my husband is going to ask the local nationals at his work to see if that is a good idea... He thinks if we don't do it the right way that it my antagonize them, so we are going to make sure we aren't going to cuase us more harm than good... But if they think it is a good idea we are going to put up the sign for unsafe place, man with gun, be ready to defend yourself, danger or any other sign we think may be good to put up...

If I could figure out how to get a picture on here then I will post a picture of what was drawn on our wall and car... It is scary what symbols they have for what... As far we know it just looks like they were scoping us out... Hopefully it was just the gas that they wanted and now they will move on... Like I said before they just want items they can use or sell for money, they don't want to come in your house just to hurt you... So that is one peacful thing about it...

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 6:06 PM
Replies (41-47):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Quoting Cheribomb:

Get a very big dog! Maybe you could Find the the symbol for crazy bitch with big dog & put it up in your yard. Scary for sure!

kirita323
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Do you know any locals? How do they deal with this? It's good that they don't harm you, but be careful about antagonizing them. My guess is they could be nasty if they wanted to be. Be aware of your surroundings. 

livingdeadmom
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:51 PM
that tide thing happens a lot.
in Washington, our neighbor put a tide bottle in her front window when her dh was deployed. it means the 'tide' is out and that they wouldn't mind a little "company".
its trashy

Quoting babyboy117:

Well that's,def scarey! Do you live on base? If not I would move on base. My husband recently told me about Tai military wives putting "tide" detergent bottles in their windows. Come to find out...it was a sign for "prostitute". And this was actually ON BASE! I thibk it was tai land...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
beachbeauty
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:53 PM

If you didn't want a dog you could at least make it look like you have one, get a couple large bowls, dirty them up a little with some crumbs/water.  If you know someone with a dog you could maybe ask them to walk their dog in your yard or ask for some of their waste from when they walk it to strategically place around.  See if they have the equivalent of "Beware of Dog" or alarm system signs there.

I also agree with carrying an umbrella, one of the pointy kinds.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Research and find symbols that are meant to keep away, and chalk your stuff yourself. That's what my cousin did while living in Ireland.

mcwife86
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:03 AM

oh no o.O is there not housing available on base?

calvinsmommy18
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:25 AM

yeah that would freak me out too

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN