Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

-35 degree windchill!

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:12 PM
  • 32 Replies
My parents have offered to rent me a house they originally bought for my sister. My sister dropped out of college and moved back here. The house is 1hr south of Canada and in the Thousand Lakes region. In the middle of the Adirondaks. Its a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house that after 2-3yrs, I would own. On land, mountain fed water. I was curious as how the weather is there as compared to where I live. We have -11 windchill right now and its horrible. In St. Regis Falls, there is a -35 windchill. There are warning about frostbite and hypothermia. I'm starting to rethink this move, now. I'm from florida so I would probably die from the winter... Would YOU move to where it's -35 degrees during the winter??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:14 PM

can you work and make a living there ? to me -11 - 35 is pretty much the same ----eFFing COLD !!

skittlebeans88
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Lol no. I wouldnt
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Groove
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:18 PM
Most likely. Its right outside Potsdam and Malone which are bigger cities. I'm going up there in March/April time to see it and make a definite answer. The house also comes completely furnished and remodeled. If only it were around here!!

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

can you work and make a living there ? to me -11 - 35 is pretty much the same ----eFFing COLD !!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofa24m29
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:19 PM
Hell no. I can barely survive the cold weather in Kansas
MDWife12
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:21 PM
You get used to the cold. Im a couple hours from canadian boarder in nd. I lived in mn my whole life so i was kond of used to the cold....than i moved up north, its cold as hell and the wind neer freaking stops, but you really do get used to the cold....and it isnt cold like this all the time so that helps
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
calvinsmommy18
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I live in Northern MI and its been about -10 windchill with temps 0 or in the single digits....but its not like this all winter so idk if i could survive all winter like that....also how much would you spend heating that house?

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:23 PM

No way. Every time dh and I move it is to a warmer climate then before.

Groove
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:23 PM
I've lived in NY for over 10yrs now and after it gets below 35, I just can't handle it. It's like it physically *hurts* me or something. Lol.

Quoting MDWife12:

You get used to the cold. Im a couple hours from canadian boarder in nd. I lived in mn my whole life so i was kond of used to the cold....than i moved up north, its cold as hell and the wind neer freaking stops, but you really do get used to the cold....and it isnt cold like this all the time so that helps

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Oh and it was a balmy 75 degrees here today : )

poshkat
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:24 PM
Lake saranac had -20 this morning, we are further south in nys and had -6 just an hour ago. As long as its -35 with wind chill I would consider it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)