Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

-35 degree windchill!

Posted by   + Show Post
My parents have offered to rent me a house they originally bought for my sister. My sister dropped out of college and moved back here. The house is 1hr south of Canada and in the Thousand Lakes region. In the middle of the Adirondaks. Its a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house that after 2-3yrs, I would own. On land, mountain fed water. I was curious as how the weather is there as compared to where I live. We have -11 windchill right now and its horrible. In St. Regis Falls, there is a -35 windchill. There are warning about frostbite and hypothermia. I'm starting to rethink this move, now. I'm from florida so I would probably die from the winter... Would YOU move to where it's -35 degrees during the winter??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Replies (11-20):
PEEK05
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I think I'd die in either -11 and -35 so I don't think the difference would kill me any differently lol.

Groove
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:24 PM
according to my stepmom (who did all of the bills for my sister), the propane runs $150/m. She has it on the budget system so its $150 all year.

Quoting calvinsmommy18:

I live in Northern MI and its been about -10 windchill with temps 0 or in the single digits....but its not like this all winter so idk if i could survive all winter like that....also how much would you spend heating that house?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muzzyh
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I live in Minnesota. We've had windchills like that for a week. It's fine; dress appropriately.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
poshkat
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Quoting MDWife12:

You get used to the cold. Im a couple hours from canadian boarder in nd. I lived in mn my whole life so i was kond of used to the cold....than i moved up north, its cold as hell and the wind neer freaking stops, but you really do get used to the cold....and it isnt cold like this all the time so that helps

I agree, you do get used to it and learn how to dress correctly. I grew up in Israel where the weather is much different and moved to N.Y. when I was 10. It took some getting used to heavy coats, gloves, hats, ect. But I wouldn't trade it for the world now.
Groove
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:28 PM
how does one dress appropriately? I wore leggings *and* jeans, an undershirt, thermal shirt, and tshirt. AND a fleece sweater over that. And I was *still* freezing.

Quoting muzzyh:

I live in Minnesota. We've had windchills like that for a week. It's fine; dress appropriately.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:28 PM

That house would eventually become yours and probably free...TAKE IT even if you have to rent for a while. Just buy some thermal underwear and a ski mask.

sheymann
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I'm moving to Minot, North Dakota for three years in May... It's just as cold there, so yes, I would.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:30 PM

I'm a born and raised Alaskan. -35 is fine. I'd never leave Alaska, but if I did I'd totally move there for a free house.

calvinsmommy18
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:30 PM

$150 a month isnt bad for winter, but it would suck to pay $150 all year since in the summer you wouldnt be using that much, but it would prob be best to keep it on the budget system. Propane here is like $2 something a gallon so a full fill is like $800 some dollars, but now we heat with wood pellets so we go through only about 200 gallons of propane a year, maybe even a little less.

Quoting Groove:

according to my stepmom (who did all of the bills for my sister), the propane runs $150/m. She has it on the budget system so its $150 all year.

Quoting calvinsmommy18:

I live in Northern MI and its been about -10 windchill with temps 0 or in the single digits....but its not like this all winter so idk if i could survive all winter like that....also how much would you spend heating that house?

momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:33 PM

i guess you will get use to it and just think how nice the summers will be. It would be a challenge for me but I think I would do it if I were you. Its a wind chill of 12 here right now. My kids just went for a walk for the "fun" of it and they didn't last ten minutes, lol. We are not use to these temps though. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)