Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

-35 degree windchill!

Posted by   + Show Post
My parents have offered to rent me a house they originally bought for my sister. My sister dropped out of college and moved back here. The house is 1hr south of Canada and in the Thousand Lakes region. In the middle of the Adirondaks. Its a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house that after 2-3yrs, I would own. On land, mountain fed water. I was curious as how the weather is there as compared to where I live. We have -11 windchill right now and its horrible. In St. Regis Falls, there is a -35 windchill. There are warning about frostbite and hypothermia. I'm starting to rethink this move, now. I'm from florida so I would probably die from the winter... Would YOU move to where it's -35 degrees during the winter??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Replies (21-30):
tifbrown
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Goodness! It's -35 here regularly without the windchill. I'm in northern Alberta. I remember one year we had new Jamacian kids in high school. Their first winter was a biiiiiitch for them haha. We were outside for gym class, all walking around in hoodies and they were bundled head to toe, full length parkas, snow pants, hats, big ass gloves. I couldn't help but laugh haha. But, by their second and third winter they had somewhat adjusted. It just becomes what you are used to. I don't even bat an eye at anything -25 or warmer. Once it hits that -30 mark though, it is cold. 

Groove
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:34 PM
I've never had propane, just natural gas. My parent's house had oil, and then propane. When my stepmom was teaching me about bills, she showed me how she paid $250/month all year round so that during the winter, they didn't get huge $6-700 bills. I keep my gas/electric on budget all year but I only pay about $70/m and that's w keeping my apt at 70 during the winter.

Quoting calvinsmommy18:

$150 a month isnt bad for winter, but it would suck to pay $150 all year since in the summer you wouldnt be using that much, but it would prob be best to keep it on the budget system. Propane here is like $2 something a gallon so a full fill is like $800 some dollars, but now we heat with wood pellets so we go through only about 200 gallons of propane a year, maybe even a little less.

Quoting Groove:

according to my stepmom (who did all of the bills for my sister), the propane runs $150/m. She has it on the budget system so its $150 all year.

Quoting calvinsmommy18:

I live in Northern MI and its been about -10 windchill with temps 0 or in the single digits....but its not like this all winter so idk if i could survive all winter like that....also how much would you spend heating that house?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Groove
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:38 PM
I *really* want to. The utilities all add up about $280/month and after they sign the house to me, that's all I'd have to pay/month. They also COMPLETELY remodeled the house. New roof, new pipes and electrical, new floors and ceilings. Comes w a washer and dryer. 2 acres of land. Deck. Barn. The school is right around the corner from the house. Completely furnished w brand new furniture. I can't believe my sister walked away from it, but eh. I can't help but already plan what to do for my girls' bedrooms in that house!

Quoting Anonymous:

That house would eventually become yours and probably free...TAKE IT even if you have to rent for a while. Just buy some thermal underwear and a ski mask.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supermama322
by Kaylee on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:40 PM
I'm in Canada. It was -43 c with windchill the other day. My dh worked outside in it like he does all winter every year. Dress warm. You'll adjust!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Groove
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:40 PM
See, I live in NY where the winters aren't usually bad. Typically the temp stays around 30 degrees F and I can get away w wearing a few shirts and a wool coat. Today I was DYING in a down coat, 4 layers under that, and thick gloves. So this -35 business scares me. If I can't handle -11, how am I going to handle something THREE TIMES as cold?? Kwim?

Quoting tifbrown:

Goodness! It's -35 here regularly without the windchill. I'm in northern Alberta. I remember one year we had new Jamacian kids in high school. Their first winter was a biiiiiitch for them haha. We were outside for gym class, all walking around in hoodies and they were bundled head to toe, full length parkas, snow pants, hats, big ass gloves. I couldn't help but laugh haha. But, by their second and third winter they had somewhat adjusted. It just becomes what you are used to. I don't even bat an eye at anything -25 or warmer. Once it hits that -30 mark though, it is cold. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supermama322
by Kaylee on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Yup, -30 or warmer is hoodie weather. LOL

Quoting tifbrown:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:42 PM
I'm used to the cold so yes.
tifbrown
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:43 PM

You would get used to it, adapt. And, realistically it's only a short period out of the year where it is THAT cold. Don't let something so small ruin a good opportunity.

Quoting Groove:

See, I live in NY where the winters aren't usually bad. Typically the temp stays around 30 degrees F and I can get away w wearing a few shirts and a wool coat. Today I was DYING in a down coat, 4 layers under that, and thick gloves. So this -35 business scares me. If I can't handle -11, how am I going to handle something THREE TIMES as cold?? Kwim?

Quoting tifbrown:

MommyLehr
by Veronica on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:43 PM

You can always bundle up. I would do it!

muzzyh
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Go get some Sorrels and a big fat Columbia jacket. You'll be fine, just don't go outside for long periods of time in the winter

Quoting Groove:

how does one dress appropriately? I wore leggings *and* jeans, an undershirt, thermal shirt, and tshirt. AND a fleece sweater over that. And I was *still* freezing.

Quoting muzzyh:

I live in Minnesota. We've had windchills like that for a week. It's fine; dress appropriately.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN