Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I turned my oven into a fire pit...

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:14 PM
  • 15 Replies
We turned on the self cleaning. My mom was just saying how it was starting to stink. I get up to get some milk and see red flames in the oven! It was super scary. It only burned for about 30 seconds before going out. But for a second I thought the house would burn down.

Never using self cleaning again!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BEXi
by BEXi on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:15 PM

YIKES.

Money Hungry Mommy Blog

mattiehatter
by Mary on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:15 PM

That's really scary.

calvinsmommy18
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:16 PM

this is the first time ive had a self cleaning oven and I havnt used that option yet.

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:16 PM

lol, scary yet funny

got2monsters
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:17 PM
i spilled grease in mine on thanksgiving from roasting a too big turkey, ive cleaned and scrubbed and cant get it all out. once when i preheated it for something the grease caught fire, i was spazzing.lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KyrinM
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:17 PM

That is pretty normal, just try not to wait so long next time.  It should be done every 2 or 3 months, but yes, it will still stink.  I hate to do it during winter when you really can't open the windows without freezing to death.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:18 PM
Never had a self cleaning oven... I thought that it burned hotter to get all the crap off....
hootowl21
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:21 PM
We just moved into this house in October. Idk how long ago it was done but this was the first time we've done it.

Quoting KyrinM:

That is pretty normal, just try not to wait so long next time.  It should be done every 2 or 3 months, but yes, it will still stink.  I hate to do it during winter when you really can't open the windows without freezing to death.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
crazedmama06
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Totally normal. I clean mine once a month and it usually does that carmel sauce spilled or grease.

SamiJ18
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:23 PM

That is terrifying!

I baked a whole chicken last week and had something similar happen.  I was removing it from the oven when some of the oil and fat slopped out of the pan into the bottom.  Needless to say, I had a sudden blaze of tall orange flames in my oven!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN