Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Just found out my son has Hydrocele

Posted by   + Show Post
One side of his testicles swells up then goes back down , then repeat. I noticed it about 3 days ago. His Dr. Thinks a hernia is developing. She wants him to go to Children's hospital next week. I hope it's NOT a hernia causing it. But, I guess we shall see. She is saying nothing can be done about it until I see a buldge. Then he can get surgery. She sounds sure that it's a hernia causing it. Anyone ever dealt with this?any info would be great!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Replies (11-20):
BensMom12412
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:31 PM
When my son was born both of his testicles were twisted inside the sack. They were so swollen you could see your reflection in them. It's called bilateral congenital torsion. He ended up having both removed, they had lost blood flow and they died. It's mainly seen in older men who do very physical activities and very rare in infants. I really hope its not this, but it is a possibility.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jackieb2811
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:35 PM

My one twin son had it as a baby but it went away by the time he was a few weeks old. I hope they get it taken care of!

thatsamorex2
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:35 PM

My son had hernia surgery at a little over 13 months.I was so freaked out about it but was told it was so common in boys and not to be overly upset (easier said than done).He had no issues with the surgery thankfully.He's 6 now and healthy as can be. You can't even see the tiny little incisions they made anymore.

babyboy117
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Well his actual "ball" has fluid around it, causing it too look larger on one side. The fluid goes and comes. When the flyid is low, his ball is smaller. I don't think he has what your,son had. I'm so sorry he had to lose both of his testes : (

Quoting BensMom12412:

When my son was born both of his testicles were twisted inside the sack. They were so swollen you could see your reflection in them. It's called bilateral congenital torsion. He ended up having both removed, they had lost blood flow and they died. It's mainly seen in older men who do very physical activities and very rare in infants. I really hope its not this, but it is a possibility.
babyboy117
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Aww glad to hear he is doing well! How did you know he had one? My husband actually had one and it was discovered when he joined the Navy. But he had hydrocele for awhile before being diagnosed and didn't even know it.

Quoting thatsamorex2:

My son had hernia surgery at a little over 13 months.I was so freaked out about it but was told it was so common in boys and not to be overly upset (easier said than done).He had no issues with the surgery thankfully.He's 6 now and healthy as can be. You can't even see the tiny little incisions they made anymore.

babyboy117
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:39 PM
I read that hydrocele is common in newborns. I'm glad your son's went away on it's own : ) my son didn't have this when he was born.

Quoting jackieb2811:

My one twin son had it as a baby but it went away by the time he was a few weeks old. I hope they get it taken care of!

mommy74146
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Hydrocele is just fluid surrounding the testicle. It's usually harmless and more common than people think.
jackieb2811
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Thanks me too! I never heard about it happening later which is why I hope they can figure it out and get it taken care of before it causes him irreversable damage.

They didn't say anything about how he could have developed it or anything?

Quoting babyboy117:

I read that hydrocele is common in newborns. I'm glad your son's went away on it's own : ) my son didn't have this when he was born.

Quoting jackieb2811:

horseap
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Nope nope and  nope.  I was upset that she didnt want any tests done.  She said he must have/had a virus causing them to swell.  Well, he wasnt and hadnt been sick.  Hes on day 4 of his med so I cant see that half way through his meds when whatever it was he was supposed to be sick from is starting to show now when he should or would be feeling better.  His scrotum isnt swollen, both of his testes are in the sac.  That was the first thing I thought was that one had gone up.  BUT the swelling started like the size of an egg under the skin and as you can see has gone towards his penis and testicles. I told hubby I would let him finish the meds(10 days) and if the swelling hasnt gone down Im making a complaint and were goint to the ER. 

Quoting babyboy117:

Oh no! Did he have an ultra sound to be sure it's not a hernia? If it is his,lymph node, did they do blood work? I would think they would for a lymph node that large. I hope he feels better soon! Oh and is his scrotum,swollen?

Quoting horseap:

No, =(  Thought DS HAD a hernia but his dr said it was his lymph nodes.  Im not sure I just want it to go down already.  It hurts him so...  his privates are covered but the swelling is from his right side(the lefts side in the pic)  to at least the middle of his groin and its hard.  Hes on antibiotics for it but today he said that hes not feeling well.  Good luck 

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
amyleigh80
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:42 PM
AWWW, poor baby. I can see the swelling. That must hurt poor angel. Hope he gets better momma. Anything to put on it? Ice, heating pad?.....

Quoting horseap:

No, =(  Thought DS HAD a hernia but his dr said it was his lymph nodes.  Im not sure I just want it to go down already.  It hurts him so...  his privates are covered but the swelling is from his right side(the lefts side in the pic)  to at least the middle of his groin and its hard.  Hes on antibiotics for it but today he said that hes not feeling well.  Good luck 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)