Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Just found out my son has Hydrocele

Posted by   + Show Post
One side of his testicles swells up then goes back down , then repeat. I noticed it about 3 days ago. His Dr. Thinks a hernia is developing. She wants him to go to Children's hospital next week. I hope it's NOT a hernia causing it. But, I guess we shall see. She is saying nothing can be done about it until I see a buldge. Then he can get surgery. She sounds sure that it's a hernia causing it. Anyone ever dealt with this?any info would be great!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Replies (21-30):
JayeC2
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:45 PM

My oldest DS had a hyrdocele, but the army docs misdiagnosed it as a hernia.  Was referred to a German hospital, because I didn't want an Army urologist working on my little man - he was barely 2.  The German doc said it was a hydrocele, but since the army doc said hernia, they did the surgery anyway.  DS barely noticed.  Can't really give you much info, it was only a few days from the incorrect diagnosis to the surgery, so I didn't really deal with it much.  But his testicles did the same as you are describing, and only on the one side.

ETA:  From what I've read, hydrocele usually goes away on it's own.  I guess I'm glad we had the surgery anyway, because it was over and has never come back.  DH was away at the time and he was my first boy, so I was REALLY freaked when it kept changing sizes.  DH was on the phone saying "That is NOT normal!!!"  LOL

amyleigh80
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Oh poor baby boy. I'm so sorry momma. There is no chance of having children then? Or were they able to do something about that? I don't mean to be nosey, it just breaks my heart.

Quoting BensMom12412:

When my son was born both of his testicles were twisted inside the sack. They were so swollen you could see your reflection in them. It's called bilateral congenital torsion. He ended up having both removed, they had lost blood flow and they died. It's mainly seen in older men who do very physical activities and very rare in infants. I really hope its not this, but it is a possibility.
thatsamorex2
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:51 PM

I noticed one day when I was giving him a bath and he started crying.Each time he'd cry he would get a lump down there only on one side it would bulge in and out .I knew something wasn't right so I looked it up on the net and it said it could be a hernia.I took him to the DR that same day and sure enough it was.My sons doctor said he wanted it done right away because the testicle could twist and get the blood supply cut off and he could lose that testicle.He said if I notice the bulge there and not going back in to take him to the ER right away.He had it done the very next week.He still has both testicles and they will function normally.Good luck.Your son will be OK its nothing major really but to us moms it sure is.

Quoting babyboy117:

Aww glad to hear he is doing well! How did you know he had one? My husband actually had one and it was discovered when he joined the Navy. But he had hydrocele for awhile before being diagnosed and didn't even know it.

Quoting thatsamorex2:

My son had hernia surgery at a little over 13 months.I was so freaked out about it but was told it was so common in boys and not to be overly upset (easier said than done).He had no issues with the surgery thankfully.He's 6 now and healthy as can be. You can't even see the tiny little incisions they made anymore.

babyboy117
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:51 PM
My husband had a hernia, and that is exactly where his scar is located. I hope your son does not have a hernia. But like you said, I would bring him to the ER. I just think it's alittle crazy she didn't do any tests... But hey.. I'm not a dr. I hope it's nothing serious.

Quoting amyleigh80:

AWWW, poor baby. I can see the swelling. That must hurt poor angel. Hope he gets better momma. Anything to put on it? Ice, heating pad?.....

Quoting horseap:

No, =(  Thought DS HAD a hernia but his dr said it was his lymph nodes.  Im not sure I just want it to go down already.  It hurts him so...  his privates are covered but the swelling is from his right side(the lefts side in the pic)  to at least the middle of his groin and its hard.  Hes on antibiotics for it but today he said that hes not feeling well.  Good luck 

babyboy117
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Thank you : ) I'm glad your son is okay now.

Quoting thatsamorex2:

I noticed one day when I was giving him a bath and he started crying.Each time he'd cry he would get a lump down there it would bulge in and out .I knew something wasn't right so I looked it up on the net and it said it could be a hernia.I took him to the DR that same day and sure enough it was.My sons doctor said he wanted it done right away because the testicle could twist and get the blood supply cut off and he could lose that testicle.He said if I notice the bulge there and not going back in to take him to the ER right away.He had it done the very next week.Good luck.Your son will be OK its nothing major really but to us moms it sure is.

Quoting babyboy117:

Aww glad to hear he is doing well! How did you know he had one? My husband actually had one and it was discovered when he joined the Navy. But he had hydrocele for awhile before being diagnosed and didn't even know it.

Quoting thatsamorex2:

My son had hernia surgery at a little over 13 months.I was so freaked out about it but was told it was so common in boys and not to be overly upset (easier said than done).He had no issues with the surgery thankfully.He's 6 now and healthy as can be. You can't even see the tiny little incisions they made anymore.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:54 PM

I had to have surgery for my hernia when I was a baby. Hurt like a bitch. I was fine though.

Seriously though, I did have to have it done when I was 11 months old. My mother told me it was simple. I have never had any issues and that was 29 years ago. I think he'll be fine, even if he has to have it done. Lets hope not though momma. Especially for YOU lol! Good luck.

horseap
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Quoting amyleigh80:

AWWW, poor baby. I can see the swelling. That must hurt poor angel. Hope he gets better momma. Anything to put on it? Ice, heating pad?.....

Quoting horseap:

No, =(  Thought DS HAD a hernia but his dr said it was his lymph nodes.  Im not sure I just want it to go down already.  It hurts him so...  his privates are covered but the swelling is from his right side(the lefts side in the pic)  to at least the middle of his groin and its hard.  Hes on antibiotics for it but today he said that hes not feeling well.  Good luck 

you can barely touch it without hurting him and he cant lay on that side or his tummy =(  I have been giving ibuprofen only before school because I cant make him sit out and go easy like I can at home.  Hes out of gym and no recess until next week.  I was hoping SOME mommy on here would see this and could confirm"yeah my kids had that"  or "NO THATS NOT RIGHT"  but I havent heard anything.  Didnt mean to bump off the OP I just want to make sure my DS is ok =/

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
amyleigh80
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Well, the lymph system acts like a big infection vacuum. When they swell like that they are doing they're job perfectly actually. It is sort of an indicator that his body is doing well. If the lymph nodes did not absorb the germs then he would be really sick. For instance. I get horrible cold sores. I know I am going to get one because the lymph node on the side of my face swells to be HUGE! And it hurts so bad! Then the cold sore erupts, does its things and my lymph node goes down. You should see some swelling go down within 24 to 48 hours of the antibiotic. If not I would go to the ER. Not cause its something serious but to ease your mind and his comfort.

Quoting horseap:

Quoting amyleigh80:

Quoting horseap:

you can barely touch it without hurting him and he cant lay on that side or his tummy =(  I have been giving ibuprofen only before school because I cant make him sit out and go easy like I can at home.  Hes out of gym and no recess until next week.  I was hoping SOME mommy on here would see this and could confirm"yeah my kids had that"  or "NO THATS NOT RIGHT"  but I havent heard anything.  Didnt mean to bump off the OP I just want to make sure my DS is ok =/

samantha.7272
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:08 AM
My son had hydrocele from birth. He had a couple other issues as well and he had surgery to get everything fixed up when he was about 8 months old. It was hard for me. The hardest part was watching him be put under :( I still am not sure if I did the right thing by going through with the surgeey even though the doctors assure me I did.
horseap
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:16 AM

The post that I made I didnt have a pic to post yet and when I did I was mobile so it was buried in replies.  Every reply though was "it sounds like a hernia" .  Every time I look up lymph nodes it brings up being sick from an infection and if thats what she thought it was, and he obviously ISNT sick IDK why she wouldnt want to at least test for strep or have blood work done. I dont want to over react so for now Im giving her the benefit of the doubt.

Quoting babyboy117:

My husband had a hernia, and that is exactly where his scar is located. I hope your son does not have a hernia. But like you said, I would bring him to the ER. I just think it's alittle crazy she didn't do any tests... But hey.. I'm not a dr. I hope it's nothing serious.

Quoting amyleigh80:

Quoting horseap:

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)