Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Just found out my son has Hydrocele

Posted by   + Show Post
One side of his testicles swells up then goes back down , then repeat. I noticed it about 3 days ago. His Dr. Thinks a hernia is developing. She wants him to go to Children's hospital next week. I hope it's NOT a hernia causing it. But, I guess we shall see. She is saying nothing can be done about it until I see a buldge. Then he can get surgery. She sounds sure that it's a hernia causing it. Anyone ever dealt with this?any info would be great!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Replies (31-40):
horseap
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:22 AM

He started them on Monday and there has been no change.  I could understand if he had strep then the glands in his neck possibly arm pits would swell, but his groin?  The sites I have found hardly mention them.  The ones that do say that the infection and lymph nodes are USUALLY localized.  WHY wouldnt she look further into it.  I honestly HATE giving antibiotic unless its been tested (strep/ other bacterial infections)  but this was a Here ya go see ya in 3 weeks. 

Quoting amyleigh80:

Well, the lymph system acts like a big infection vacuum. When they swell like that they are doing they're job perfectly actually. It is sort of an indicator that his body is doing well. If the lymph nodes did not absorb the germs then he would be really sick. For instance. I get horrible cold sores. I know I am going to get one because the lymph node on the side of my face swells to be HUGE! And it hurts so bad! Then the cold sore erupts, does its things and my lymph node goes down. You should see some swelling go down within 24 to 48 hours of the antibiotic. If not I would go to the ER. Not cause its something serious but to ease your mind and his comfort.

Quoting horseap:

Quoting amyleigh80:

AWWW, poor baby. I can see the swelling. That must hurt poor angel. Hope he gets better momma. Anything to put on it? Ice, heating pad?.....

Quoting horseap:

No, =(  Thought DS HAD a hernia but his dr said it was his lymph nodes.  Im not sure I just want it to go down already.  It hurts him so...  his privates are covered but the swelling is from his right side(the lefts side in the pic)  to at least the middle of his groin and its hard.  Hes on antibiotics for it but today he said that hes not feeling well.  Good luck 

you can barely touch it without hurting him and he cant lay on that side or his tummy =(  I have been giving ibuprofen only before school because I cant make him sit out and go easy like I can at home.  Hes out of gym and no recess until next week.  I was hoping SOME mommy on here would see this and could confirm"yeah my kids had that"  or "NO THATS NOT RIGHT"  but I havent heard anything.  Didnt mean to bump off the OP I just want to make sure my DS is ok =/

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
amyleigh80
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:27 AM
In that case for your sanity I would go to the ER. Have them take some blood. It should have responded at least a little by now.

Quoting horseap:

He started them on Monday and there has been no change.  I could understand if he had strep then the glands in his neck possibly arm pits would swell, but his groin?  The sites I have found hardly mention them.  The ones that do say that the infection and lymph nodes are USUALLY localized.  WHY wouldnt she look further into it.  I honestly HATE giving antibiotic unless its been tested (strep/ other bacterial infections)  but this was a Here ya go see ya in 3 weeks. 

Quoting amyleigh80:

Well, the lymph system acts like a big infection vacuum. When they swell like that they are doing they're job perfectly actually. It is sort of an indicator that his body is doing well. If the lymph nodes did not absorb the germs then he would be really sick. For instance. I get horrible cold sores. I know I am going to get one because the lymph node on the side of my face swells to be HUGE! And it hurts so bad! Then the cold sore erupts, does its things and my lymph node goes down. You should see some swelling go down within 24 to 48 hours of the antibiotic. If not I would go to the ER. Not cause its something serious but to ease your mind and his comfort.

Quoting horseap:

Quoting amyleigh80:

AWWW, poor baby. I can see the swelling. That must hurt poor angel. Hope he gets better momma. Anything to put on it? Ice, heating pad?.....

Quoting horseap:

No, =(  Thought DS HAD a hernia but his dr said it was his lymph nodes.  Im not sure I just want it to go down already.  It hurts him so...  his privates are covered but the swelling is from his right side(the lefts side in the pic)  to at least the middle of his groin and its hard.  Hes on antibiotics for it but today he said that hes not feeling well.  Good luck 

you can barely touch it without hurting him and he cant lay on that side or his tummy =(  I have been giving ibuprofen only before school because I cant make him sit out and go easy like I can at home.  Hes out of gym and no recess until next week.  I was hoping SOME mommy on here would see this and could confirm"yeah my kids had that"  or "NO THATS NOT RIGHT"  but I havent heard anything.  Didnt mean to bump off the OP I just want to make sure my DS is ok =/

babyboy117
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:30 AM
I think I would do this too.

Quoting amyleigh80:

In that case for your sanity I would go to the ER. Have them take some blood. It should have responded at least a little by now.

Quoting horseap:

Quoting amyleigh80:

Quoting horseap:

Quoting amyleigh80:

Quoting horseap:

Sparkyfire
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Both my boys have had hydroceles. If it isn't gone by 1 year they do surgery to fix it. It's a minor day surgery, very small scar you won't even notice after a while.

My oldest also had an undesinded testicle so they fixed both in one shot. They had to remove the testicle for being undeveloped. My youngest is a month and so far just has a hydro, keepin an eye on it so that if it isn't fixed they will fix it by a year or 2.

Don't stress mama, it's not too bad.
BensMom12412
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:36 AM
Glad to hear its not this then. I mean its sad to hear he's having issues but it doesn't sound like he will have to lose them. Which is good.

Quoting babyboy117:

Well his actual "ball" has fluid around it, causing it too look larger on one side. The fluid goes and comes. When the flyid is low, his ball is smaller. I don't think he has what your,son had. I'm so sorry he had to lose both of his testes : (

Quoting BensMom12412:

When my son was born both of his testicles were twisted inside the sack. They were so swollen you could see your reflection in them. It's called bilateral congenital torsion. He ended up having both removed, they had lost blood flow and they died. It's mainly seen in older men who do very physical activities and very rare in infants. I really hope its not this, but it is a possibility.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BensMom12412
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:37 AM
He will never be able to have biological children and will have to be on testosterone therapy starting when he hits puberty. It sucks, but he is healthy otherwise and I am so blessed that it wasn't something more severe.

Quoting amyleigh80:

Oh poor baby boy. I'm so sorry momma. There is no chance of having children then? Or were they able to do something about that? I don't mean to be nosey, it just breaks my heart.

Quoting BensMom12412:

When my son was born both of his testicles were twisted inside the sack. They were so swollen you could see your reflection in them. It's called bilateral congenital torsion. He ended up having both removed, they had lost blood flow and they died. It's mainly seen in older men who do very physical activities and very rare in infants. I really hope its not this, but it is a possibility.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Schleetle
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Yes. It went away on its own.
amyleigh80
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:39 AM
You are an amazing mommy.

Quoting BensMom12412:

He will never be able to have biological children and will have to be on testosterone therapy starting when he hits puberty. It sucks, but he is healthy otherwise and I am so blessed that it wasn't something more severe.

Quoting amyleigh80:

Oh poor baby boy. I'm so sorry momma. There is no chance of having children then? Or were they able to do something about that? I don't mean to be nosey, it just breaks my heart.

Quoting BensMom12412:

babyboy117
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:46 AM

I am going to google this conditon you said your son had. My Dr. was kinda short with me. So I just liKE too inform myself.  She didn't actually send him to have an ultra sound or anything done..so I guess a hernia isn't definite... Thanks for sharing this. You are an awesome Mommy!

Quoting BensMom12412:

Glad to hear its not this then. I mean its sad to hear he's having issues but it doesn't sound like he will have to lose them. Which is good.

Quoting babyboy117:

Well his actual "ball" has fluid around it, causing it too look larger on one side. The fluid goes and comes. When the flyid is low, his ball is smaller. I don't think he has what your,son had. I'm so sorry he had to lose both of his testes : (

Quoting BensMom12412:

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:50 AM

a very important fact would be to include whether it is post birth development or inutero.

ds3 has a hydrocele. it is considered a comunicating hydrocele. he was born with it and he will get looked at by a surgeon when he is 19 mo old to see if surgery is necessary

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN