Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Just found out my son has Hydrocele

Posted by   + Show Post
One side of his testicles swells up then goes back down , then repeat. I noticed it about 3 days ago. His Dr. Thinks a hernia is developing. She wants him to go to Children's hospital next week. I hope it's NOT a hernia causing it. But, I guess we shall see. She is saying nothing can be done about it until I see a buldge. Then he can get surgery. She sounds sure that it's a hernia causing it. Anyone ever dealt with this?any info would be great!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Replies (41-50):
babyboy117
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:54 AM

No, this is a new thing that has developed. The Dr. alwayS chekced his testicles at every well baby appointment. He just had his 2 year appointment not too long ago.  I have just noticed this recently.

Quoting bustybee:

a very important fact would be to include whether it is post birth development or inutero.

ds3 has a hydrocele. it is considered a comunicating hydrocele. he was born with it and he will get looked at by a surgeon when he is 19 mo old to see if surgery is necessary

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:00 AM
My nephew's penis swell up when he pee then it goes back down after he finished peeing. Does anyone know what that is pls advice thanks oh and it's not painful and no symtoms
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:00 AM

then his is more serious than those that are born with it. it has something to do with where in the testicle tissue it happens and if it is caused by a hernia

http://www.pedisurg.com/pteduc/hydrocele.htm is a site I found that explains it nice and simple about kids born with hydrocele,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrocele is another helpful one I found

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrocele_testis is the same yet different.

I don't know where your son fits in in all of this, but, everything that I have been told is that later development of a hydrocele can affect his testicle in the long term.

Quoting babyboy117:

No, this is a new thing that has developed. The Dr. alwayS chekced his testicles at every well baby appointment. He just had his 2 year appointment not too long ago.  I have just noticed this recently.

Quoting bustybee:

a very important fact would be to include whether it is post birth development or inutero.

ds3 has a hydrocele. it is considered a comunicating hydrocele. he was born with it and he will get looked at by a surgeon when he is 19 mo old to see if surgery is necessary

cali_angel_girl
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:01 AM

I haven't so here is a bump for you

babyboy117
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:04 AM

His Dr. is actually going to see him next week. She said she will set him up with at Dr. at the Children's hospital to take a look at him, and possibly be looking into surgery. Thanks for the information.

Quoting bustybee:

then his is more serious than those that are born with it. it has something to do with where in the testicle tissue it happens and if it is caused by a hernia

http://www.pedisurg.com/pteduc/hydrocele.htm is a site I found that explains it nice and simple about kids born with hydrocele,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrocele is another helpful one I found

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrocele_testis is the same yet different.

I don't know where your son fits in in all of this, but, everything that I have been told is that later development of a hydrocele can affect his testicle in the long term.

Quoting babyboy117:

Quoting bustybee:

blancavazquez
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:11 AM

DD was born with gastroschisis, after surgery she had a hernia left on her belly button, we would see the surgeon about every 4 months to see the progress, at first they told me that if her hernia didn't get better she would probably have to have surgery when she turns 4, her las visit to see the surgeon was june 2012 when she turned 1yr and she said it's getting much better and from the way she sees it she wont have to have surgery after all she said that when little kids have hernias they usually get better with time because they are still growing :)

BensMom12412
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:12 AM
Thank you :) it feels really good to hear that

Quoting amyleigh80:

You are an amazing mommy.

Quoting BensMom12412:

He will never be able to have biological children and will have to be on testosterone therapy starting when he hits puberty. It sucks, but he is healthy otherwise and I am so blessed that it wasn't something more severe.

Quoting amyleigh80:

Oh poor baby boy. I'm so sorry momma. There is no chance of having children then? Or were they able to do something about that? I don't mean to be nosey, it just breaks my heart.

Quoting BensMom12412:

When my son was born both of his testicles were twisted inside the sack. They were so swollen you could see your reflection in them. It's called bilateral congenital torsion. He ended up having both removed, they had lost blood flow and they died. It's mainly seen in older men who do very physical activities and very rare in infants. I really hope its not this, but it is a possibility.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BensMom12412
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:13 AM
Thank you :) and ill be praying for your sons speedy recovery!

Quoting babyboy117:

I am going to google this conditon you said your son had. My Dr. was kinda short with me. So I just liKE too inform myself.  She didn't actually send him to have an ultra sound or anything done..so I guess a hernia isn't definite... Thanks for sharing this. You are an awesome Mommy!

Quoting BensMom12412:

Glad to hear its not this then. I mean its sad to hear he's having issues but it doesn't sound like he will have to lose them. Which is good.

Quoting babyboy117:

Well his actual "ball" has fluid around it, causing it too look larger on one side. The fluid goes and comes. When the flyid is low, his ball is smaller. I don't think he has what your,son had. I'm so sorry he had to lose both of his testes : (

Quoting BensMom12412:

When my son was born both of his testicles were twisted inside the sack. They were so swollen you could see your reflection in them. It's called bilateral congenital torsion. He ended up having both removed, they had lost blood flow and they died. It's mainly seen in older men who do very physical activities and very rare in infants. I really hope its not this, but it is a possibility.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RLT2
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:13 AM

No, but poor baby :(

babyboy117
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:25 AM
Bump!

Quoting Anonymous:

My nephew's penis swell up when he pee then it goes back down after he finished peeing. Does anyone know what that is pls advice thanks oh and it's not painful and no symtoms
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)