Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Just found out my son has Hydrocele

Posted by   + Show Post
One side of his testicles swells up then goes back down , then repeat. I noticed it about 3 days ago. His Dr. Thinks a hernia is developing. She wants him to go to Children's hospital next week. I hope it's NOT a hernia causing it. But, I guess we shall see. She is saying nothing can be done about it until I see a buldge. Then he can get surgery. She sounds sure that it's a hernia causing it. Anyone ever dealt with this?any info would be great!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Replies (51-57):
livric
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:28 AM

My DS is 7 has still has his belly button hernia,  they dont do anything about it.  it is slowly going down.  Why do they want to do surgery???

Quoting Clove09:

My dd has that too! She's 3 1/2 now and it's still there. How long did it take for her innie to show up? The pedi is talking surgery at 4 to correct it if its still there:(

Quoting squeekers:

our dd's belly button almost had a hernia behind it at birth, or something like that my ob/gyn told me. it gave her an outtie for years, and finally it left and now she has an innie.

Hierophant85
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:31 AM
They let me believe my son had one until he was almost a year old. Come to find out it was actually a hernia. They kept telling me it will go away on its own.
He had a checkup with a different dr because his was on vacation or something an he had us go see a urologist. It took him all of 5 seconds to tell us it was a hernia.
He had surgery 6 days before his first birthday, he did well with the surgery and recovered quickly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadySaphira
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:35 AM

My oldest son had a hydrocele  when he was two. IT is not a hernia, just a fluid filled sack in one of the scrotum. They put the child to sleep, do minor surgery to drain it, and watch them for a couple of hours then send them home. Of course this was 22 years ago so it may be a bit different now but I doubt it. It is a very simple thing to correct and he was only sore for a couple of days.

aimeegreen4ever
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:37 AM
I'm not sure about hydrocele but DS had double inguinal hernias from birth and had them corrected at 4 months old, 1 month adjusted. He did great with surgery and you can't even see his scars. His testicles are extremely small so there concerned about that now. They think possibly because of the surgery but not sure yet. They told us since it was double inguinal surgery he may only have a 25% chance or having children of his own.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Clove09
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:36 AM
There are possible complications with blood flow if the hernia never closes. But a lot of doctors will wait quite awhile if it seems to be slowly closing on its own. I think I'll give it a few more years.
Actually, I think her outie is very cute!

Quoting livric:

My DS is 7 has still has his belly button hernia,  they dont do anything about it.  it is slowly going down.  Why do they want to do surgery???

Quoting Clove09:

My dd has that too! She's 3 1/2 now and it's still there. How long did it take for her innie to show up? The pedi is talking surgery at 4 to correct it if its still there:(

Quoting squeekers:

our dd's belly button almost had a hernia behind it at birth, or something like that my ob/gyn told me. it gave her an outtie for years, and finally it left and now she has an innie.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
workingmama86
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:38 AM

My son's testicles did that too. When my son's were like that, they stayed big... but they said they wouldn't do surgery until he was a year old.. they said sometimes it goes away on it's own.. and luckily it did! 

workingmama86
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:40 AM

My dd had a hernia in her belly button too. But they never did anything about it, just monitered it. Her belly button no longer shows signs of a hernia (I guess it went away? I don't know), but she does have a slight outie now... and her dad and i both have innie's.. it's weird! lol

My son had hydrocele in his testies too... but it cleared by the time he was 1 so they didn't do surgery. 

Quoting squeekers:

*Edit to Clove: I asked my dd if we could figure out approx when her belly button went in, and she thinks she remembers it's about beginning of elementary school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)