Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Was your mom a good cook?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
When you were a kid? Mine wasnt, haha. She has 3 or 4 things she knows how to make and they are all gross. One year, she let me eat nothing but pizza lunchables, sour cream and onion chips and oreos for every meal. Blech...I guess that's why I'm a stickler for healthy eating now. She would tell people that I was picky and there ass nothing she could get me to eat but the truth was she just didn't cook anything. I will try anything and I'm a real foodie.

She also freezes everything! She'll cook a steak, freeze it, then eat it a month later. Weird to me!
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:16 PM
Replies (61-70):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:54 PM
She has a few things that she cooks really well. But my dad is the cook of our family.
allsolittle
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:56 PM
Both of my parents are amazing cooks! Healthy? No.. amazing none the less.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
thatgirl70
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:57 PM

She had (has) a tendency to overseason everything, and that was a turn off for me (I hardly season anything because of it--I do, but sparingly, just enough to give it a little bit of flavor). There weren't too many things of hers that I liked, but I'd kill for some of her rouladin, it was one of my favorite things she made. I'd make it myself if I could find the right kind of meat for it. The other thing she did pretty good was German potato salad. It's not my favorite type of potato salad, but for what it was, it wasn't bad. Same with her bratwurst and sauerkraut. Seems she did pretty good with German food (she is German after all), but outside of that, not so much.

KatieKramer94
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:01 AM

My mom used to be a decent cook. I loved her cooking. Homemade spaghetti sauce, baked chicken, she really knew how to cook cheap cuts of steak and make them tender and delicious! Shes given me all the recipes. Now that I'm out of the house she doesn't cook as often. She recently made chicken soup for me and it wasn't like she used to make it. Makes me homesick a little, I really miss her cooking...

:(

Jebekarue
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:08 AM

When my parents got married my mother could not even boil water!!!  My dad taught her how to cook and she turned out to be an AMAZING cook!!! Now mom is gone and my sister made a recipe book for all of us kids/grandkids with all her wonderful recipes, she made it and gave it to us for Christmas the year Mom died.  Dad can still cook he is 77, but he over salts EVERYTHING.

mom2hadley
by Heather on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:10 AM
My mother was and is an excellent cook. That is about the only thing she did good.
Hyman
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:14 AM
No. But I lived on and off with my bio dad and his wife and my mom and stepdad.

My SD is an amazing cook and a huge foodie. He always made all the authentic Italian food dishes and still makes legendary homemade pizza.

My SM was an amazing cook but only cooked Hispanic/Mexican food bc that's what she is. But I saw them for theist time when I was around 13.

My mom is Dutch and Italian but she has no clue how to cook lol.

And funny enough, I became just like you. I love cooking, really stickler for healthy and whole foods and I love to cook from scratch and get great joy out of feeding my family like that.
auntietotty
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:21 AM

My mom is a good cook...but not a fabulous one. We grew up in a basic "meat & potatoes" kind of house so she was never very adventurous.  She cooked all from scratch though. My dad made chili..that's all he ever cooked. lol

I'm a pretty good cook but my husband is even better. He does most of our cooking and I gladly let him. I'm a good baker..although I did teach him how to make piecrust and now his is better than mine!

amyleigh80
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Yes, she and my grandmother cooked very well.
jthompson1976
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:24 AM

yes my mom was a pretty good cook...   my mom does that to freeses every thing  its still good nothing wrong with it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)