Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

WHAT DOES YOUR HOUSE STYLE SAY ABOUT YOU????????????

Posted by   + Show Post

What Does Your House Style Say About You?

Bungalow: Natural and Adaptable

People who live in Bungalow homes appreciate things that are rugged, adaptable and economic in design. "For these people it's all about comfort that is organic and natural," says Rikki Nyman, editor of AntiqueHomeStyle.com. "Bungalow dwellers are practical and choose their home because it’s easy to live in and very efficient." Bungalows are designed to blend into the environment in which they're built and are all about ease between indoor and outdoor spaces. "Artists, architects, teachers, someone who has a more liberal approach to things, or even an outdoors person are the types you typically see living in a bungalow home," says Nyman. 

Where to find it: Bungalows can be found throughout the country, but are in abundance in California and across the Midwest.

Colonial: Traditional and Iconic

Colonial: Traditional and Iconic

Colonials are the iconic family home. One of the most popular styles in the United States, Colonials are square and stable. "People who live in Colonial homes are solid, grounded, successful, and sensible," says Nyman. "They like symmetry, formality and propriety, and they value tradition." The style of Colonials is light, airy, and clean, which is another reason people are drawn to this classic style. 

Where to find it: Colonial homes can be found across the country.
Cape Cod: Quaint and Simple

Cape Cod: Quaint and Simple

The Cape Cod style of house is similar to the Colonial but it's a bit more casual. "It's a simple style of house. People who live in a Cape Cod house are unpretentious, more casual, probably a little more creative and not deadline-driven," says Nyman. Since Cape Cods can be efficient and economical, they can be the perfect starter home for young couples, creating a bit of a romantic quality to this type of home as well. 

Where to find it: This home originated in Massachusetts (Cape Cod!) and continues to be a popular style of home in New England -- mostly in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and Massachusetts. But it's also a style that has spread across the country.

Spanish: Colorful and Welcoming

Spanish: Colorful and Welcoming

Spanish style homes are spirited and are all about making entertaining comfortable and relaxed. "These homes are casual and pleasant to live in. They offer lots of color and a lot of different textures and often feature large patios or other uncovered outdoor spaces for socializing," says Nyman. People who have an appreciation for Mediterranean style and warm-weather architecture will gravitate toward the Spanish style of home, which can be sprawling and rambling or tiny and cozy. 

Where to find it: These houses are very popular in the southern tier of the United States, from Texas to California, and then again in Florida.

Ranch: Unpretentious and Practical

Ranch: Unpretentious and Practical

The Ranch style of home is long, low and asymmetrical in layout, with private space separated from living space. "Ranch type houses offer a more modern layout, with multipurpose spaces, very functional interiors and a logical, flowing layout," says Nyman. The ranch style of home is a great choice for those who are economical, practical and looking for easy living features. 

Where to find it: ranch style of house isn't concentrated in one area of the country. You can find them sprinkled throughout.

Cottage: Casual and Charming

Cottage: Casual and Charming

The Cottage style of home represents a completely different flavor of lifestyle. "Cottages are, by definition, all about comfort, right sizing, and scaling to conform with your real self and not the Joneses," says Nyman. "Cottages are on the small side with a high cuteness factor." People who choose to live in Cottages opt for a charming, easy way to live. 

Where to find it: Cottages are more prominent in areas of the Northeast.

Craftsman: Artistic and High-Quality 

Craftsman: Artistic and High-Quality

The Craftsman style of home is down-to-earth, with simple yet strong designs. "People drawn to these homes are often artistic individuals who appreciate handmade products, high quality craftsmanship, and slow design," says Nyman. These homes are not opulent - rather they're simple, clean, and well designed. Craftsman homes are all about the design principles, balance, harmony, contrasts and shaping everything in relationship to each other. Everything in the place has meaning. 

Where to find it: Craftsman homes can be found across the country.

OTHERS IN REPLIES 

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:53 AM
Replies (21-30):
Aleta775
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I like ranch houses, cottages, and bungalows. :) I just prefer small and cozy. 

horseap
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:14 AM

heres ours  (at least I dont think it fits any of the others)

Quoting Sassy762:

Mine either and I can't find it online, lol

We are just shit out of luck, lol

Quoting horseap:

Ours doesnt really fit any of them.  =/

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
horseap
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Ok the bottom half of our house

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:16 AM

Even though it doesn't have the same exact design style...it seems like a Cottage style home. Very cute house and you have a YARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with GRASS...................

Quoting horseap:

heres ours  (at least I dont think it fits any of the others)

Quoting Sassy762:

Mine either and I can't find it online, lol

We are just shit out of luck, lol

Quoting horseap:

Ours doesnt really fit any of them.  =/

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:17 AM
Military housing:

Crazy and adventurous Lol
ExquisiteMomof2
by PHOTOGMOM on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:19 AM
I don't think my house falls into one of those categories. :-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Its okay...mine doesn't either, lol

Quoting ExquisiteMomof2:

TattooedMomto4
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I have always preferred cottage style homes. Ours was until we had to rebuild it after a fire two years ago and now it is a four square box.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ExquisiteMomof2
by PHOTOGMOM on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:21 AM
1 mom liked this
That's because we are unique...... Lol.

Quoting Sassy762:

Its okay...mine doesn't either, lol

Quoting ExquisiteMomof2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Childofares
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:24 AM
2 moms liked this

Mine says "look! These folks are broke as a joke!" lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)