Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Banning Welfare Recipients from Playing Lottery

Posted by   + Show Post
A Representative from North Carolina wants to Ban stores in North Carolina from selling lottery tickets to welfare recipients. Rep. Bram stated people on welfare should be using the funds for their bare necessities not the lottery. Store owners say there is a rise in lottery sales at the beginning of any given month in NC but, store owners say they would not feel comfortable asking their customers if they are in fact on assistance. I'm only adding this one edit to say I do not know how they would go about this. It Is the opinion of one North Carolina representative that there is a rise in sales at the beginning of the month.EDIT: LOTTERY IS A CASH ONLY PURCHASE EVERYWHERE EBT IS NOT THE ISSUE. EDIT: abcnews.com .
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:22 AM
Replies (11-20):
briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Well I know you can't in MA (not just because its EBT, but because lottery is cash only here). But I don't know how it works in other states.

Quoting Sassy762:

You can really use that card for buying lottery tickets??????????????

Quoting mommythree0508:

I would definitely agree with banning the use of the ebt card for such purchases.

Quoting briansmommy2010:

Uh yeah, that will never happen. It is a violation of somebody's rights to ask them if they are a welfare recipient before selling them ANYTHING at the store.

I personally would like to see some proof of this, because I don't really believe it. Maybe banning using an EBT card to buy lottery tickets? Are you sure you didn't misunderstand?

mommythree0508
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:30 AM
1 mom liked this
No clue! Lol Seems like I remember seeing that. It stands to reason if they use cash benefits and get it from a gas station.

Quoting Sassy762:

You can really use that card for buying lottery tickets??????????????

Quoting mommythree0508:

I would definitely agree with banning the use of the ebt card for such purchases.

Quoting briansmommy2010:

Uh yeah, that will never happen. It is a violation of somebody's rights to ask them if they are a welfare recipient before selling them ANYTHING at the store.

I personally would like to see some proof of this, because I don't really believe it. Maybe banning using an EBT card to buy lottery tickets? Are you sure you didn't misunderstand?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommythree0508
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:31 AM
Hmm. Interesting. Gonna have to Google the laws in Louisiana.

Quoting briansmommy2010:

I do too. You cant use EBT for lottery tickets in MA. Then again, you cant use ANYTHING other than cash, so no debit or credit cards either.

Quoting mommythree0508:

Quoting briansmommy2010:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Homeschoolmom99
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:32 AM

This reminds me of the shop in Utah that if your a liberal they charge an extra buck for a smoothie! Yeah I am just going to walk in and tell them?

Quoting Anonymous:

That's interesting, but how would one prove they are or aren't on welfare? They should just make it easier to take back what the state has paid in benefits from big prizes.

mysticalmalissa
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:32 AM
3 moms liked this

This country is getting just a bit to ban happy for my liking.

Chaoswithin
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:33 AM
I'm not replying to every comment. I know what I just heard . I donot know how this would in fact come to fruition as I stated it is one Representative . I have my own questions while listening to the story .

Quoting briansmommy2010:

Hierophant85
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:36 AM
Who's to say someone will actually be honest? How likely is it that someone who's using their welfare money for lotto tickets instead of what it's supposed to be for will admit it when asked?
The only way to somewhat regulate that is not allowing ebt cards to be used for those types of purchases, even then they can just pull the cash off the card at an ATM and do it anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
manda-nicole010
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm all for those on assistance doing what it takes to get by and using money responsibly but this would be crossing a line... no one has any right to know who is and isn't on assistance unless they are directly involved and a store selling lottery tickets or a representative isn't. Besides... shouldn't alcohol and cigarettes and actual junk be a bit higher on the list than a dollar or two lottery ticket? 

briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:40 AM
I agree. Plus, imagine if that welfare recipient won big. Then that's one less person on welfare. And I don't think I would be against the idea of the government asking somebody to pay back assistance they have received if they hit a huge jackpot.

Quoting manda-nicole010:

I'm all for those on assistance doing what it takes to get by and using money responsibly but this would be crossing a line... no one has any right to know who is and isn't on assistance unless they are directly involved and a store selling lottery tickets or a representative isn't. Besides... shouldn't alcohol and cigarettes and actual junk be a bit higher on the list than a dollar or two lottery ticket? 

BelleVernonGirl
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:45 AM

All these "banning" ideas are great until it involves you...Everyone wants it their way...we're all for banning smoking, and banning welfare ppl from buying junk with the fs, and any number of other things...how would you feel if they decided to stop YOU from something...how about breast feeding in public?  (now anyone with any smarts knows I not comparing BF with smoking, I'm making a point) It's all about the government controlling us...Like telling us it's best for us that we wear seat belts..no it's best for the gov b/c if we don't then they fine us and make money...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured