Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Im so afraid to ask. TAX ?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
So have 2 children both on social security (father died) and I did not work in 2012 nor did I receive unemployment. SS 1099 came yesterday , I received around 11,000 dollars jointly for their care in 2012 . My question is do I file taxes , do I have to pay out or would I receive a refund? I donot own anything car, home or bank accounts so yes I'm in the poor category. On foodstamps and medical for the 3 of us. My question is an honest one -I am not a troll .
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:07 AM
Replies (21-26):
by Anonymous 8 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Its regular for my brother and the ss for me that she gets from my fathers death..h and r block said it didn't count and it does cause she was auditted for that specifically so now she goes to the local irs to file taxes even though it takes longer but being auditted was a headache smh lol and my mom was not working due to a work injury...sad thing is her job didn't have workmans compensation so it was a rough time for us..

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think so, is it regular SS? With an added job?

Quoting Anonymous:

That is mom has been filing ssi on tax returns with the irs personally because she doesn't trust the other sources such as h and r block and jackson hewit..

Quoting Anonymous:

You don't do anything SSI is NOT Do NOT file.

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:55 PM

You proboly don't have to file, BUT it doesn't hurt to file anyway. You will not have to owe !!!! So dont' worry about that. Just go to Turbo Tax and file for free...

by Emerald Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Go to your local library. Most of them have tax preparers on hand this type of year to help people like you for free.

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:59 PM

so absolutely NO other income all year other than the 11,000....  you say you recieved it for THEIR care, but what about your own needs... did you have any other income for your own needs?

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:51 PM
in home supportive services
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:44 PM


Quoting Anonymous:

Yes looks like . It says SSA-1099 sm

Quoting Anonymous:

Is this  the form you got?


This is what I found. 

SSI and Income Tax

"You are required to pay income tax on your SSI benefits only if your total income is higher than a certain limit. Starting in 2011, if you file your tax return as a single individual, your benefits are not taxable if your income is lower than $25,000 annually. To determine if your income is lower than this limit, you must consider all types of income you have: your job, any public benefits, your SSI benefits and other sources of income applicable to you. If you file as a married individual, this limit increases to $32,000 annually."


Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)