Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why is it people think the poor should have nothing??

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

No internet, no gov cell phone for emergencies,  no buying a lottery ticket, no income tax credit, no day care credit, no fancy food, no decent medical care, no nice clothes, heaven forbid you have a car with no dents,  .............some people didn't ask to be poor, but ended up in life situations in which there is very little control.  Not even having the basics can make a person feel less than human.   Why do others get such a thrill of knocking the poor?

edit:  and i'm talking about poor people for which their circumstances will never change...you know the war vet, the accident victim, the sick person who can't work......

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:47 AM
Replies (171-176):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 43 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:43 PM

My S/O's baby mama lives in a run down trailer park with his kid, is on welfare and food stamps but yet has money for Coach purses thanks to the welfare and CS.  I on the other hand have been using the same $20 purse for 5 years.  I don't see the point of spending $1200 on a purse no matter how poor or rich you are.

Quoting PerfectVirgo:

Me either. I worked with a woman on section 8, paid 180 a month in rent. Her electric bill paid by the state. Phone bill, free government phone. Got cash assistance and food stamps. Worked 30 hours a week for tips. Paid for her coach bag, $1200 literally off of her bridge card.

Quoting MrsErdos2011:

I don't see the appeal of an insanely priced bag that holds my crap the same way a 12 dollar bag from Walmart does.

Quoting PerfectVirgo:

Because they see one poor ghetto b*tch that uses her bridge card to buy a coach purse while her kids eat spaghettios and it just rubs them the wrong way.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 44 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:45 PM

They shouldn't get BIGGER TAX refunds than those of us who actually PAY IN OUR FAIR SHARE.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 45 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Lottery tickets, phones, fancy food, nice clothes are NOT the basics. They are luxuries. When you are poor you can't afford them, and you are not owed them by society. People deserve warm, safe housing, edible, nutritious food (potato ships, soda, goodies and candy do NOT fall into this category), adequate clothing, primary and secondary education, access to reliable affordable transportation, safe neighborhoods with a solid presence of the law, and access to a library with books and Internet. If you want more than that, either tough it out and wait for better times or work harder to make it happen.

My own family is lower middle class right now by choice, we too a huge pay cut to let me stay home. We don't get any form of PA including EIC. We don't take vacations, we don't eat out, I buy our clothes at thrift stores, we use things up until they fall apart and then we fix them and use them some more, our cars are driven until they are undriveable, we have few luxury foods, we don't have cable or dish and we don't have cell phones. We can't afford those things so we don't have them, what a concept. If a family like mine is paying taxes but cannot afford these luxuries, then why in the holy hell should they be provided to others free of charge just because they are poor?

This is a concept that people used to understand. For some reason, they now think it is their right and due to live in luxury regardless of what they earn or what effort they put in.

I'm not opposed to helping people who are down, it could very well be me someday. But if I was in that position, I would NOT expect a cell phone, goodies, designer clothes, lottery tickets or anything else like  that from the taxpayers. That's being greedy, not needy.

boldrumble
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Quoting soontobemommie3:

i thought it was a simple concept
TexanMomOf6
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Some of those things you listed are not basic needs, they are wants.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 46 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah it is.  If something is out of your price range it's out of your price range. If you can't afford it then you can't afford it.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh yea....that's exactly the same thing. Cell phones and computers are comparable to summer homes in France.

Quoting boldrumble:

Because you should only have what you can afford. Kinda like i shouldnt have a summer home in france....i cant afford to and still pay bills...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN