Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Grey/silver hair in a 6 yr old

Posted by   + Show Post
What can cause this????
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Replies (11-20):
Des10ed2b
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:50 AM

it is likely just a pigament problem. things like that are not TOTALLY uncommon. 

http://www.livestrong.com/article/86792-causes-gray-hair-children/

my daughter is blonde as can be, but every once in awhile i will find a random BLACK hair. The root is black and it will be black for about 5 or 6 inches and then suddenly turn to blonde like the rest of her hair. it is strange. It drives me nuts when she has one right up front and i can see it all the time. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:52 AM
My ds has a light spot on his neck that goes into his scalp and his hair is white. Just from not having any pigment in his skin or scalp. Could be something like that. Good luck!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Quoting CM_Junkie:

Very red auburn

Quoting Anonymous:

And she's not blond or lighter haired?

Wow, I bet it's really pretty though...especially in the sun.

Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:53 AM

My 6-year-old has several strands distributed throughout her head as well.  I thought I was seeing things at first, but nope, they're there.  My FIL was completely white-haired by the time he was 30.  I wonder if that has something to do with it?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:53 AM
It can be caused by things from genetics to disorders. I wouldnt worry too much unless she starts having other symptoms. In which case I would have her checked out. There are some disorders that can cause loss of pigment in the hair.

Quoting CM_Junkie:

It is distributed all over. I was brushing my fingers through her hair because she is sick and wanted comfort and she has a lot of grey/silver hair

Quoting Anonymous:

If it is in one general area, like a patch of white hair, it could be poliosis.

becc41
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Is it clumped together or scattered?  I would start by giving her vitamins if it's scattered.... to me that would mean a deficiency of some sort.  Clumped together.... I'd see her doctor (or possibly a derm, see if there's something going on in the scalp).  From what I've heard, it's easier for blonde hair to turn grey, but I don't know.  My hair was a really dirty blonde when I was little, full on brunette now.  

Quoting CM_Junkie:

It's a pretty decent amount. Does the color of her hair affect it any?

Quoting becc41:

My mom found a grey hair on me apparently when I was little - was just one, never came back.  Is it a lot?  (and I agree with roxygurl, I've heard that before too)

CM_Junkie
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Thanks! I love it!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting CM_Junkie:

Very red auburn

Quoting Anonymous:

And she's not blond or lighter haired?

Wow, I bet it's really pretty though...especially in the sun.

jllcali
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Pernicious

Quoting Roxygurl:

Pernisuas (sp) anemia.

A vitamin b12 deficiency
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CM_Junkie
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:54 AM
It's pretty scattered all over so I will try that

Quoting becc41:

Is it clumped together or scattered?  I would start by giving her vitamins if it's scattered.... to me that would mean a deficiency of some sort.  Clumped together.... I'd see her doctor (or possibly a derm, see if there's something going on in the scalp).  From what I've heard, it's easier for blonde hair to turn grey, but I don't know.  My hair was a really dirty blonde when I was little, full on brunette now.  

Quoting CM_Junkie:

It's a pretty decent amount. Does the color of her hair affect it any?

Quoting becc41:

My mom found a grey hair on me apparently when I was little - was just one, never came back.  Is it a lot?  (and I agree with roxygurl, I've heard that before too)

Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Are you Stacey from What Not To Wear? =0)

Quoting momof3boys1110:

Could be a birth mark on his/her head. I have had a silver streak in my bangs ever since I can remember and that's what its from!

With light and love

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)