Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Grey/silver hair in a 6 yr old

Posted by   + Show Post
What can cause this????
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Replies (31-40):
KristyKat
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Loss of pigment.  My cousin had it since she was a small child.

scarletmeshell
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:25 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:25 AM

you are welcome  :)

Quoting CM_Junkie:

Thank you so much

Quoting Anonymous:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/86792-causes-gray-hair-children/

If you see any loss of pigment in skin with loss of pigment in hair, read this one....

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/skin/vitiligo.html

This one has general loss of pigment. There is a lot of lodd of pigment in skin but you may find something on here in there...

http://www.nsc.gov.sg/showpage.asp?id=126

This talks about dietary causes and disorders...

http://www.livestrong.com/article/273901-white-hair-in-kids/

Im sure I have more. Im getting ready to take my daughter to a dr appointment but ill pop back in this post later.

If you want to do your own search I would include words like melanin and pigment in the search. You will get more accurate results then punching in gray hair.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I just did a quick search before I have to leave to take my daughter to the dr. I came across this Answer to a Question in a Q&A post.

You may want to do a search with the words I highlighed in red. It may give you some good results with researching it.

Hair color is produced by tiny cells called melanocytes that live within the hair follicles. In the course of a lifetime, the activity of the melanocytes in each follicle begins to wane, resulting in gray hairs. Each individual's melanocyte-clock is different, but in Caucasians this reduction of melanocyte activity usually occurs earlier than in other groups. If gray hairs appear in childhood, this is called premature graying, or canities (pronounced kah-nish'-eez).

The appearance of gray hairs may be the result of a child's genetically determined maturational schedule. If so, it is likely (but not certain) that others in the family tree would have followed a similar schedule. If these others had scattered gray hairs in childhood, but did not progress to a full head of gray hair until later, then it is likely that your son would follow the same pattern. Gray hair can also accompany a number of uncommon familial syndromes, including neurofibromatosis and tuberous sclerosis.

Several conditions can alter a child's preset melanocyte-clock. If these conditions are present for a short time, a few scattered gray hairs may be the result; if they persist, the graying is likely to progress.

The most common of these is vitamin B12 deficiency. Vitamin B12, or cobalamin, is present widely in foods from animal sources. Dietary deficiency is difficult to achieve, unless a person is eating a strict vegan diet. Breast-fed infants whose mothers have B12 deficiency can also develop a transient deficiency. A lack of vitamin B12 can occur even in the face of adequate B12 intake. The body's ability to absorb and use B12 can be hampered by surgery involving the stomach or small bowel, diseases affecting the small bowel (e.g. regional enteritis, necrotizing enterocolitis, tuberculosis, diverticulosis, or fish tapeworms), or a congenital lack of the molecules needed to absorb B12 (intrinsic factor or Transcobalamin I, II, or III). A simple blood test can diagnose current vitamin B12 deficiency. If your son’s gray hair resulted from a prior deficiency that has resolved, it will probably not be detectable by a current blood test; however, the graying will not progress in this case.

Some anemias -- the megaloblastic ones (including the anemia caused by B12 deficiency) -- can produce gray hairs as an early sign. A simple blood test detects current anemia. As in the case of B12 deficiency, previous anemia is not easy to detect, but will not continue to affect your son's melanocytes.

Several thyroid disorders, particularly hyperthyroidism, reduce melanocyte activity while they are present. Disorders of skin pigmentation, such as vitiligo (which follows the destruction of melanocytes in the skin), can also result in a loss of hair pigmentation. A rare entity called Vogt-Koyanagi syndrome occurs in some children following a viral illness. In an attempt to fight the virus, the body makes antibodies that, unfortunately, also attack the melanocytes.

Here is the link to where I got that answer if you are interested in reading it...

http://www.drgreene.com/qa/children-and-gray-hair

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:52 AM

You said she's sick... what kind of sick?  Also, when did you first notice the gray hairs?

kameka
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:56 AM
My husband has had gray strands throughout his hair since he was about 4. No reason, as far as we can tell.
mama2ameira
by captain underpants on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Not sure but in 6th grade this boy had salt and pepper hair. Not sure why
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alliemad_3
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:11 AM
My niece has vitiligo. When she was around 6 my brother and sister-in-law found a streak of white on the underside of her hair. Then her eyelashes started turning white. Then they started noticing white patches on her face.

Luckily she's pretty pale and when she got older she was able to cover everything with a small amount of makeup. She was very self conscious about her hair, so they started dying that pretty early on.
momof3boys1110
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Umm no lol. My streak isn't that obvious.

Quoting Lunarprancer:

Are you Stacey from What Not To Wear? =0)

Quoting momof3boys1110:

Could be a birth mark on his/her head. I have had a silver streak in my bangs ever since I can remember and that's what its from!

ColieO
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:32 AM
I have red hair and I've always had silver hairs. Since I was little.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)