Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

who is taking care of your kid!?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:49 AM
  • 58 Replies
If you provide child care, or baby sit, what do you charge? Do you have any qualifications that affect your rate (CPR qualified, etc)? How many children do you watch? If someone watches your child, what do you pay them?

I'm talking about in home care, not at a child care center.

I baby sit one little boy a day, 5 days a week (a rare Saturday too) and cut the mom a pretty good deal, in my opinion, because she is my friend and I don't need to be making more than I am. I'm just curious as to what other people are charging.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kattu
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:20 AM

My best friend was watching 2 boys, ages 2 (still in diapers) and 4.  The mom paid her $30/day and did not provide any food.  I think that's a wee bit on the cheap side, but we live in a farming community in the middle of nowhere so you have to think about things in perspective (such as if you were going to work somewhere, what would gas cost, etc).  I guess it all depends on the hours, the number of children, if they come with food or not, if they go to school or activities....  I have a teaching degree, and if the parents wanted me to teach them preK or tutor, I would charge a bit extra, also.

JenB1983
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:27 AM
I watch a friend's daughter, $20/day. Prettying good deal considering most of the days are about 10 hours. But, she's a struggling single mom, and I'm a SAHM(for the time being at least); so it works for both of us. She's got reliable care that works with her schedule(being retail her hours are all over the place), and I'm able to bring in a little extra money each week.
But no, I don't have any certifications or anything.
kattu
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:35 AM
I was in the same boat as you. $20/day at 10, 11, 12 hours a day. That's over 50 hours a week! I kind of felt like she was taking advantage of me because she would go home after work and sit and do paperwork and have her husband pick him up at 6 at night when she dropped him off at 7 in the morning. I had to ask for an hourly rate.

Quoting JenB1983:

I watch a friend's daughter, $20/day. Prettying good deal considering most of the days are about 10 hours. But, she's a struggling single mom, and I'm a SAHM(for the time being at least); so it works for both of us. She's got reliable care that works with her schedule(being retail her hours are all over the place), and I'm able to bring in a little extra money each week.

But no, I don't have any certifications or anything.
kattu
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:37 AM
I made $20/day and the mom included food, before I requested an hourly rate. I'm also rural.

Quoting Anonymous:

My best friend was watching 2 boys, ages 2 (still in diapers) and 4.  The mom paid her $30/day and did not provide any food.  I think that's a wee bit on the cheap side, but we live in a farming community in the middle of nowhere so you have to think about things in perspective (such as if you were going to work somewhere, what would gas cost, etc).  I guess it all depends on the hours, the number of children, if they come with food or not, if they go to school or activities....  I have a teaching degree, and if the parents wanted me to teach them preK or tutor, I would charge a bit extra, also.

Lovemyfamilyof8
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I am CPR qualified, infant CPR qualified, I can watch up to two. 35.oo a day or 200.00 a week. BUT I provide food also

Mommyof2n0308
by Marissa on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:39 AM
I charged my best friend 200a month.. Not worth it. She screwed me and took complete advantage..we are no longer friend!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IncognitoOne
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I baby sit my niece. I used to have other children, but I quit. I charged $50 a week per child (they weren't random kids, they were friend's kids). I'm CPR and first aid certified.

lilbit53009
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:44 AM

my son was in a home day from 3 months old - 3 years. she charged $150 a week (although she said that was the discounted rate because i work with her husband). she was liscensed as a day care and everything so she was trained in first aid and CPR and everything.

i've became really close with her...we still go over to visit all the time even tho he's in preschool now.

mommy2zbg
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:48 AM

My son will be 4 in March and he goes to an actual daycare. I pay $80.00 a week and that includes breakfast, lunch, and a snack after naptime.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)