Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Whiskey drops for teething gums. Wrong?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this

My poor teething baby is getting very little sleep... which means I've been getting none. I've tried teething tablets, Popsicles, orajel, baby Tylenol, a gazillion teething toys... I know there'll be a lot of situations where the baby and/or the parents will just have to endure, but seriously?! I know the difference between a whinny/attention cry and a pain cry and these are pain cries. I remember the stories of my Dad dipping his finger in Jack Daniels then rubbing his finger on my gums and I'd calm down and go sleep so outta desperation I got a small bottle, dipped a carrot stick in the whiskey then had my daughter chew on the carrot stick. After about 15-20 min she calmed down and slept through the night. Next morning she woke in the bests of moods. I've done it twice in a week so far. Is this wrong?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LovelyMommy24
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I'm not the one to ask, talk to her doctor. ;)

meangreen18
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:34 AM

to each their own i guess. i personally have not used it on my children. i was told it was used on me. baby pain reliever or teething tablets worked for my first. haven't really had to use anything for my second. hope things get better.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

just don't over use it. tipsy babies are a no-no

Mommyof2n0308
by Marissa on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Yea its bad..sorry..my opinion
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Not_A_Native
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

My ex used it with my son. Worked well.  I don't see the huge thing - we demonize alcohol in their country, but seem to have no problem with things like high fructose corn syrup, chemicals you can't even pronounce, and so on.  Alcohol is only one molecule from sugar.

Just don't overdo it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Don't worry. When I say a drop I mean just a drop. I was one of the mothers that had the doctor on seed dial and called about hiccups lol. I either dipped the carrot stick in the whiskey and that was it, or dipped just my finger then rubbed on my daughters gums. We asked our doctor and she said it was ok. Of course not to over do it, but she said a lot of the OTC meds we use on our babies already have some little amount of alcohol so a drop or two of whiskey or rum is no different then giving a dose of cough syrup. 

Gamer_Chick_19
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Twice a week is fine, but yea just a little on your finger and rub it on the gums. No more then what you are doing now. Doctor would probably tell you the same sometimes. We dont on our daughter though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I don't think its bad. My dad did this to us when my brother and I were little. We survived.

Babujai
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:30 AM

It's definitely ill-advised and shouldn't be done regularly.

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:31 AM
I stick my finger in whiskey and rub it in my LO's gums when teething tablets don't work. I've only had to do it a handful of times.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured