Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Whiskey drops for teething gums. Wrong?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My poor teething baby is getting very little sleep... which means I've been getting none. I've tried teething tablets, Popsicles, orajel, baby Tylenol, a gazillion teething toys... I know there'll be a lot of situations where the baby and/or the parents will just have to endure, but seriously?! I know the difference between a whinny/attention cry and a pain cry and these are pain cries. I remember the stories of my Dad dipping his finger in Jack Daniels then rubbing his finger on my gums and I'd calm down and go sleep so outta desperation I got a small bottle, dipped a carrot stick in the whiskey then had my daughter chew on the carrot stick. After about 15-20 min she calmed down and slept through the night. Next morning she woke in the bests of moods. I've done it twice in a week so far. Is this wrong?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Replies (11-17):
daughteroftruth
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I don't see it as bad.  We use homeopathic drops a lot and they are alcohol based.  a drop or two of whisky isn't going to intoxicate your baby.  I've never tried it, but I've also never had whisky in the house.. not sure how other "hard" liquors would work.  I've only ever heard of people say that whisky works.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't do that much. We always barely dipped our pinky in it then let the excess drip off then rubbed around the gums very good.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I have never tried it because orajel works for him but I know my parents used it with me. My grandma has told me to do it multiple times. My MIL, who is a saint apperantly says. OMG that is so bad. blah blah. If orajel did not work, I would do it. But we dont drink whiskey so we dont have it laying around...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Please adopt me my wisdom teeth are coming in I don't wanna move
tricia1332
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:42 AM

It's worked for years. As long as your not getting the baby drunk or mixing the alcohol in a bottle then I don't see a problem with it.

It was used on me and my siblings. Some things just woworkout I'm sure their are others on here that will tell you it's bad, wrong and you're a bad parent. But you do what you need to do.kwim

i_lovedyoufirst
by Gabriella (: on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:44 AM
My son loves his humphreys but they are on back order ):
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Heck no, I rubbed Jim Beam on my DD gums because my Grandpa told me it would help...it did.

Your the mama and you do whats best for your child and if giving her some whiskey on a carrot works go with it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)