Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The lottery is a TAX ON IGNORANCE!**EDIT**

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 94 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Am I right? Should poor people be spending money they really can't afford to lose on Lottory tickets?

Options:

No they shouldn't!

I see nothing wrong with it.. Go for it!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 56

View Results

Poor people who should not be wasting money will go spend all their welfare benefits on scratch off's so they can "dream of being rich.." 

But if they just saved the money.. they could be farther ahead..

For every 100 dollars you spend on scratchoff's you will win 10-15 dollars back.. But even then.. most people put that money back into more scratch off's... So they never really won anything! HENCE THE IGNORANCE!

But they will insist they won something..

I honestly think if you make under $70,000 YOU CAN'T afford to waste money like that!

Lottery was sold to the nation as a way to add money to the education of our schools.. HOWEVER.. Every nation in the union.. Once they started receiving their share of that money for the schools.. STOPPED BUDGETTING money for the school districts.. Or atleast stopped funding them as well as they used to be funded..

Schools aren't helped by the lottery.. It is a myth. 

Secondly.. Little Johnny isn't helped by lotto money going to the schools if his gambling addict parents spend too much money on lotto and can't afford clothes or lunches for him.. How is little Johnny able to study better if he is cold or hungary.. And before you say oh well he can get free lunch.. The free lunch program is based on income.. They don't care what you spend it on.. But if you had the income and spent it all.. You won't get free lunches.. You won't have warm clothes.. etc!

I changed it from 100,000 to 70,000. Cause apparenty that figure is too high for people.. That doesn't change the fact that it is a WASTE OF MONEY..

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CuriousArentYa
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:34 AM

We don't play the lottery. . but I think where we live the lottery funds scholarships to help kids go on to secondary education.

Emilytrademark
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Lottery tickets are not a basic necessity.

BabyFruit Ticker
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:36 AM

That's crazy! Their whole welfare check??

fairyjester
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Eh i do it for fun when i have money from tips .

But then i am not on welfare either
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

That's crazy! Their whole welfare check??

I kid you not.. I know 3 different women.. who don't even know the other.. Who LITTERALLY THE DAY.. IT COMES IN.. They are sitting down at the local 7-11 watching the bingo ball thing.. And scratching off scratchoff's like queens.. Then for the next 15 days.. Will cry to everyone they know how they don't have shampoo.. or tampons..etc Their kids walk arround without coats (I LIVE IN NY.. It is cold here now.. and the kids were walking arround to school etc with no socks, no boots in open toed shoes!) And momma aint got no money and can't buy them the 5 dollar cheepy shoes to keep the kids toes from turning purple.. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:40 AM
2 moms liked this
I think you are being a little extreme lol In general, yes the lotto is a waste of money. However, I dont think people are spending an entire paycheck on scratch offs. If they are, that is a personal issue, not a lotto issue. A couple dollars here and there isnt hurting anyone. If you cant feed your kid because of it, then yes, you have a problem
AllofFive19
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Seriously? Under a 100,000? In some places you can feel rich on a hell of a lot less, and have the money to play the lottery.

LilliesValley
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I didn't vote because if someone is on pa and they are buying lottery tickets with their pa money that's just wrong. I'm poor, but my lottery tickets are part of my weekly budget and I skip on something else to get them. Not food or bills but we don't go out to dinner, buy new clothes etc. We make too much to get pa, but too little to do much of anything. I'm sure it could be better used elsewhere and we have talked about not playing but just haven't. I don't do scratch off's though! I'll probably get bashed but oh well... I'm being honest and not going anon eithe so anyway.....

But I guess ot if someone is on pa and they are using their cash benefits to buy lottery tickets it could be worse. The pharmacy I used to work at people would come in at midnight, buy a pack of gum, take out $100, then buy another pac of gum and take out another $100 and go use the money to get high. Either way you're not really using the pa to assist you much.

myloves.050709
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:47 AM

My dh will buy a ticket here and there for fun. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting AllofFive19:

Seriously? Under a 100,000? In some places you can feel rich on a hell of a lot less, and have the money to play the lottery.

YES.. 100,000 why?  Because when your under 70,000 you have to use what would normally be considered extra income for things like INSURANCE And Co-pays and deductables and prescription drug cost's.. Or Groceries once you start trying to eat healthier..etc. Or car insurance, house insurance, renter's insurance.. 

70,000 Is the upper of the lower class

80,000 is bottom of the Middle class.. and even then your struggling to live that life.. 

So until your arround 100,000 Your pretty much financially strapped..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)