Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it ok for schools to do this? Edit to add question

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:23 PM
  • 224 Replies
I know of a school that on the first offense if you get caught with a phone in your possession (it can be in your locker) they take it for a month. They don't give it back for you to take home. They don't call your parents and give it to them. They take it for a month. AND if say...spring break happens to fall in that month...that week doesn't count and they still keep it. (So they dont give it back for the break then re-confiscate it).

Sorry for text errors. I'm on my phone.

What would you do about it? What do you think is an appropriate punishment? As a parent how would you address if the school did this and wouldn't let you come get the phone?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HousewifeNina
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this
If its in the school.policy, yes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:25 PM
7 moms liked this
Don't let them take it to school. In the event they did take it I would be all over them.
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:25 PM

harsh punishment, but I am sure kids are aware of the consquences if they are caught.

LilliesValley
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Wow, umm I thought most schools were ok with phones now. Kids at my DD school (when they get to the middle school) tun theirs in during home room in the am and then get it back at the end of the day when they report to home room for announcements. The teachers keep them locked in a box. It seems to work. Don't know if you could do that in a public school though.

MissMysteriouss
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:26 PM
27 moms liked this
Yes. But I would go up to the school and get it back. No way would they keep something that I am paying for.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I don't think they can do that since it isn't their property, but if the rules do say that the kid should not be taking their phone to school.

M0M0F03
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Do they send this policy out to parents/students at the beginning of the year? If so, I guess keep your phone at home.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:28 PM
4 moms liked this
If it is in their locker than not the schools business and we'd be fighting.
jenmomx3
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:28 PM
19 moms liked this

The school is not going to keep something for a month that I pay for.   If  they want to take it away from my child during school, thats one thing, but it better be available for me to pick up at the end of the day.

sktrowb
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:28 PM
3 moms liked this
I would be at the school gettin the phone then shutting it off for good when I got home.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN