Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it ok for schools to do this? Edit to add question

Posted by   + Show Post
I know of a school that on the first offense if you get caught with a phone in your possession (it can be in your locker) they take it for a month. They don't give it back for you to take home. They don't call your parents and give it to them. They take it for a month. AND if say...spring break happens to fall in that month...that week doesn't count and they still keep it. (So they dont give it back for the break then re-confiscate it).

Sorry for text errors. I'm on my phone.

What would you do about it? What do you think is an appropriate punishment? As a parent how would you address if the school did this and wouldn't let you come get the phone?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Replies (71-80):
Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Oh I read that as it can't be on them at all even in their lockers. Lol

My school had the policy that the phone is to be powered off during school hours. If the phone was found on it was confiscated and your parents could pick it up. Most teachers though didn't enforce the rule unless they were giving a test or something.

I agree with others if I'm paying for something as a parent the school will be giving it back to me or paying the bill that month.

Quoting orangerze:

They can be in the lockers. If they are seen elsewhere they are confiscated.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Why can't the phone be in the lockers?

Most parents start giving their kids cell phones around middle school age so they can get in contact before and after school becuase of extra curricular activities.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:24 PM
My child's school had 1581 students, the rule is cells in lockers. They can't be on them after first bell. The rules are clear as well as the punishments. My children are not special snowflakes, the rules are simple. I expect my children to follow policy. If you expect different rules for your children, homeschool and make your own policy.
MeAndTommyLee
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't understand parents that blindly allow themselves to be bulldozed into illegal policies that schools dream up for themselves.  Open your mouths and say, `hey, this is MY child and I kindly ask you to back off.'  And it's not only about phones, clothes etc.  It's about schools across the country attempting to trump you as a parent by refusing to accept doctors notes for sick children, not allowing children to use the bathroom, objecting to them putting a sweater on if they are cold..........etc.  I never allowed such nonsense and wish more parents would stop being so damn intimidated by the schools.  You're  the parent!! 

Quoting teal.blaze:

The school HAS to turn it over to the parents. It is not the school's responsibility to ground your child. They can refuse to give it to the kid, but they legally have to give it back to the parents....there have actually been lawsuits over stuff like this.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Out school system you pay a locker rental fee. My last year of high school they actually made you have a kicker too, becuase they mad wa new rule about not having backpacks in the classroom.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

You have to pay for a locker in most schools

Quoting Anonymous:

Lockers are school property, and that is 100% their business.

Quoting Anonymous:

If it is in their locker than not the schools business and we'd be fighting.

Huh? Not in any system I have ebeen in or had my kids in!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommybug77
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Quoting other_mother:

I would be fine with it. If my child is old enough for a phone, he is old enough to know the policy and obey it. If he chooses not to do so, then he gets to live with the consequences and the restrictions on his freedom the lack of a phone creates. Frankly, I see no need for him to have a cell phone in school at all. If he needs to get in touch with me there are office phones available. If he can't manage to leave the phone in his locker, that is his problem and his consequences. I'm not getting involved.

he can't have the phone in his locker even. What about kids who walk to school or do things after school.
FooLynRoo
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

No phone, means no phone. don't bring it , it wont be a problem.

if you want to change policy attend more PTA and school council meetings.

MomofHDFandNWF
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:29 PM

This.....

Quoting Anonymous:

Don't let them take it to school. In the event they did take it I would be all over them.

It does sound like a bit of a harsh punishment, but at some point some one on the administration must felt it was warrented due to an issue going on at the school. 

I would also imagine, unless they do random (thorough) locker searches, your child could easily have the phone at school and as long as they don't make a big deal about it or flaunt the fact they have it, they could easily "get away" with it IF they were going some place directly after-school that you felt they needed to have it on them.

other_mother
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Quoting mommybug77:

Quoting other_mother:

I would be fine with it. If my child is old enough for a phone, he is old enough to know the policy and obey it. If he chooses not to do so, then he gets to live with the consequences and the restrictions on his freedom the lack of a phone creates. Frankly, I see no need for him to have a cell phone in school at all. If he needs to get in touch with me there are office phones available. If he can't manage to leave the phone in his locker, that is his problem and his consequences. I'm not getting involved.

he can't have the phone in his locker even. What about kids who walk to school or do things after school.

I'm sorry, but I think we are a little bit overprotective. I walked to and from the bus stop and/or school from the time I was in kindergarten through 6th grade (my parents started homeschooling in 7th). I think with some basic safety rules and a call when they get to the other end, they are fine. In my opinion, cell phones make it far too easy for a child to say they are where they are not.

shymomof4
by Kristyn on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I wouldn't address it with the school.  I would address it with my child.  At the beginning of the school year we get a handbook from the school system and another from the actual school.  They cover just about any scenario you could think of and outline the consequences.  My child is aware that is what will happen as am I.  I would probably have the phone turned off if they are going to flat out break the rules and try to be sneaky. 

NiCo86
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I would be walking up to that teacher, demand my cellphone back, and promptly hand it to my child in front of the teacher, explaining to them "phones are not toys, it is to be kept in your back pack during school hours, if you are caught with it again, I will take it and such and such away for such a period of time."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN