Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Question of Etiquette

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:59 PM
  • 26 Replies

I dont know what I should do!  

I need those that specialize in etiquette to help me out!

My distant cousin who I grew up with but we really arnt very close, we dont talk everyday and we dont really hang out much.  She is more of just a friend and less of a relative ya know?  But we are blood related.  I am closer to her husband than her, but thats because he worked with me a long time.  

Anywhoo she is having another baby her first girl, she already has two boys.  Her sister who is also my actual cousin works at the gas station I go to sometimes and we always catch up when I go in there.  She told me how Jen was so worried because she doesn't have any girl stuff and she is just so paranoid about getting the things she needs.  I was all, "aww....", then Lees told me about her shower and asked if I was going.  

With as much attiude as I could cop I jokingly said, "Pfft, I wasn't invited."... She laughed/gasped and said it was Bridges fault that she was "planning" the party for Jen and has done a terrible job and hasn't even sent out most of the invites yet.  Lees told me it was next saturday and that I was invited, even if I dont get invited told me where it was blah blah, although now that im writing this I was not ever informed of a time....hmm....

So I found myself at old Navy a day later and saw the cutest little girls outfit.  I knew Jen would love it because she is rumored to actually give birth on Valentines day and this was just pink with hearts all over.  Such a sweet little outfit.  I ended up dropping about $50 dollars on this outfit complete with Shirt, stockings, shoes, socks and a little hat.  

When I got home I thought about just dropping it off with a congratulations.  I mean, baby showers are painful enough when they go off perfectly...to be forewarned its a trainwreck though?  Eeek.  I decided against it.

Today I checked my notifications for FB and see that my neighbor invited me to celebrate her little boys first birthday.  Shit!!!  Same day.  

Two parties, same day....

What do I do?  

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:02 PM
3 moms liked this
Go to the neighbors :)
Just drop off the cousins gift... no invitation after all
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:02 PM
I would drop the gift off. Why did you buy stockings and socks?
CorpCityGrl
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:04 PM
2 moms liked this

Go to the neighbor's party and just drop off your cousin's gift.  In my opinion, you aren't close and you weren't really invited (her sister seemed to extend an invite to cover up the fact that you weren't sent an invite to begin with and she spilled the beans).  Oh well...their loss, but you are being thoughtful anyway by having bought that outfit.

lucsch
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:04 PM

It is all about the presents. Give them each a gift, and skip BOTH parties. LOL

Ok...maybe Miss Manners wouldn't agree, but that's what I'd do.

Schmoopi
by QueenOfAllThings on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Drop off the cousin's gift with heart felt congratulations and go to the kid's birthday party.

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Yes!  I got pulled away and abruptly ended my op but I was gonna say how my son would enjoy the little boys party sooooo much more!  Plus, even though it was through facebook (hate that shiznit) I was technically invited, more so to that one than the other lol.  But one could argue the other is after all family.... 

Quoting Anonymous:

jbirdsladie27
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this
See even he'll enjoy it more!!
The family will get over it...you know prior plans and all
Quoting Matriarch87:

Yes!  I got pulled away and abruptly ended my op but I was gonna say how my son would enjoy the little boys party sooooo much more!  Plus, even though it was through facebook (hate that shiznit) I was technically invited, more so to that one than the other lol.  But one could argue the other is after all family.... 

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:10 PM

So when it got warmer she wouldn't have to wear stocking and could go all chubby barelegged with socks keeping her little feet from getting sweaty in the silver maryjanes.  

Quoting Anonymous:

I would drop the gift off. Why did you buy stockings and socks?

gwebkeijmmm
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Drop the gift early and go to the birthday party, 

CM_Junkie
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Drop off the gift stay for a few offer to help but Inform the neighbor you might run a little late. If no one shows like I think is going to happen because of the lack of planning I would stay for a while just to make the mother to be feel better
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)