Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

do away with marriage

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:07 PM
  • 61 Replies

I think that the solution to the whole gay marriage issue would be to just do away with marriage completely.

Why should the government have any role in it?

If someone wants a priest/rabbi/swami whatever bless their union fine...that is a religious matter. Keep the government out of it.

Just require paternity test on all newborns to establish child support and couples can stay together or seperate as they see fit (which is pretty much how it is now anyway).

Allow anyone to name whomever they wish as "family" for purposes of inheritance, hospital visits, etc.

Make life so much easier.

Owner-Pregnant Brides  Were you pregnant when you tied the knot? Come share your experiences. Will you be pregnant when you get married? Come learn from our stories.

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Oh great! More rules for us to follow from the govt!

wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:09 PM
12 moms liked this

Or they could just let anyone who wants to get married as two consenting adults do so.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Idk. I feel like that would complicate a lot of scenarios.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:09 PM
AGREE!! I've always felt the government has no place in the unity of marriage....finally someone feels the same!
fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:10 PM
4 moms liked this

NOT on your life.  Marriage is so very important at least to me and my family.

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Not everybody wants to be married in a church, but they want to be married. It would make more sense for marriage to be open to all consenting adults.

CafeMom Tickers
Hayleysmom88
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:11 PM
2 moms liked this
Ehh. I see your point but I like the idea of being married to dh. I like that other people look at us and know that we dated got married and then had children. A lot of people don't do that in that order anymore for whatever reason and there is something kind of sad about that too me. Not judging anyone else's lifestyle, its just something I personally cherish.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mamitamaria
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Oh great! More rules for us to follow from the govt!

no...far fewer... the rules now about marriage and taxes and inheritance and paternity and divorce etc. are so complex.

Owner-Pregnant Brides  Were you pregnant when you tied the knot? Come share your experiences. Will you be pregnant when you get married? Come learn from our stories.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:11 PM
Marriage isn't religeous to begin with. Christains stole that too.
bcoll
by Brandi on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:12 PM

That's not a sloution in my opinion.

I will never undrstand the "nobody wants to be left out so nobody should have anything" mentality.

*For the record I have no problem with gay marriage* This  is strictly an opinion on the overall idea of doing away with marriage.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)