Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think that the solution to the whole gay marriage issue would be to just do away with marriage completely.

Why should the government have any role in it?

If someone wants a priest/rabbi/swami whatever bless their union fine...that is a religious matter. Keep the government out of it.

Just require paternity test on all newborns to establish child support and couples can stay together or seperate as they see fit (which is pretty much how it is now anyway).

Allow anyone to name whomever they wish as "family" for purposes of inheritance, hospital visits, etc.

Make life so much easier.

Owner-Pregnant Brides  Were you pregnant when you tied the knot? Come share your experiences. Will you be pregnant when you get married? Come learn from our stories.

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Replies (21-30):
spooky415
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:17 PM
nobody knows that by looking at you lol.

Quoting Hayleysmom88:

Ehh. I see your point but I like the idea of being married to dh. I like that other people look at us and know that we dated got married and then had children. A lot of people don't do that in that order anymore for whatever reason and there is something kind of sad about that too me. Not judging anyone else's lifestyle, its just something I personally cherish.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brandydesiree
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:18 PM

So you think a brother should be able to marry his sister, as long as they both consent?

Or a grandfather to marry his adult grandchild?

It is not that black and white.

Quoting davnrori:

I think any consenting adult should be able to marry any other consenting adult. I don't know why this is a problem!

mommamaggi
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Gay marriage shouldn't be an issue because they are consenting adults and deserve the same rights and privileges as any other married couple. The best way to resolve it is to stop being afraid of people marrying animals if we "allow" gay couples to marry lol.

ebbierowe
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:21 PM
you have a point...people can't tell by looking at me and dh when we got married .....

It could have been yesterday and all oue kids could have been born out of wedlock

Quoting spooky415:

Quoting Hayleysmom88:

Ehh. I see your point but I like the idea of being married to dh. I like that other people look at us and know that we dated got married and then had children. A lot of people don't do that in that order anymore for whatever reason and there is something kind of sad about that too me. Not judging anyone else's lifestyle, its just something I personally cherish.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
calvinsmommy18
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:21 PM

that sounds kind of ridiculous...

TSNDDY
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Yea that seems even simpler

Quoting wkukid:

Or they could just let anyone who wants to get married as two consenting adults do so.

Hayleysmom88
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:22 PM
I worded that wrong. I mean people that know us. Friends and family. I don't care about strangers opinions

Quoting spooky415:

Quoting Hayleysmom88:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I agree (with you statement about the mentality). I don't see this as a solution either. It makes more sense to stop trying to keep two CONSENTING ADULTS from getting married. (I had to put that disclaimer because someone always tries to twist that, and I've never understood that mentality either.)

Quoting bcoll:

That's not a sloution in my opinion.

I will never undrstand the "nobody wants to be left out so nobody should have anything" mentality.

*For the record I have no problem with gay marriage* This  is strictly an opinion on the overall idea of doing away with marriage.

Kaya529
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:23 PM
I completely agree with you. Especially about the paternity tests. It would solve so many problems.
davnrori
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Hey, whatever floats your boat. Are there not laws already in place to prevent such a thing from happening? I believe you are being deliberately obtuse. There are genetic reasons why a brother shouldn't marry a sister, a grandfather to marry his adult grandchild, etc. If you don't know that then Google hasn't been your friend. You know I meant that, barring a close genetic link, consenting adults should be able to marry. If you didn't know that then you are either thick or simply acting that way to take away from my point. So, yes, now that I've expanded on my original statement, it is quite black and white.

Quoting brandydesiree:

So you think a brother should be able to marry his sister, as long as they both consent?

Or a grandfather to marry his adult grandchild?

It is not that black and white.

Quoting davnrori:

I think any consenting adult should be able to marry any other consenting adult. I don't know why this is a problem!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured