Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think that the solution to the whole gay marriage issue would be to just do away with marriage completely.

Why should the government have any role in it?

If someone wants a priest/rabbi/swami whatever bless their union fine...that is a religious matter. Keep the government out of it.

Just require paternity test on all newborns to establish child support and couples can stay together or seperate as they see fit (which is pretty much how it is now anyway).

Allow anyone to name whomever they wish as "family" for purposes of inheritance, hospital visits, etc.

Make life so much easier.

Owner-Pregnant Brides  Were you pregnant when you tied the knot? Come share your experiences. Will you be pregnant when you get married? Come learn from our stories.

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:38 PM
It's all about money. As long as they can't marry they can't claim benefits they their jobs offer cuz the companies say they should nt pay pensions etc to people not legally married. So instead of it being political they make into a religion thing. Canada supports it and has for a while and I don't get the big deal. Atlest some people still want to commit and marry so I say let em.
brandydesiree
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:39 PM

You made a blanket statement. I was not being obtuse.

Aren't there already federal laws in place that prevent Gay's from marrying?

I'm not anti-gay marriage. My brother is gay and married. My point is, 30 years ago, hell 10 years ago, the majority of Americans were against gay marriage, just like the majority of us today are against incest, bestiality, and pedophilia. Things are not black and white. But if you want to keep it in black and white...just look up the definition of marriage in any language and see it was says.

Here is my brother and his husband.

They got married in New York in December. I love my brother and I adore his husband.

Quoting davnrori:

Hey, whatever floats your boat. Are there not laws already in place to prevent such a thing from happening? I believe you are being deliberately obtuse. There are genetic reasons why a brother shouldn't marry a sister, a grandfather to marry his adult grandchild, etc. If you don't know that then Google hasn't been your friend. You know I meant that, barring a close genetic link, consenting adults should be able to marry. If you didn't know that then you are either thick or simply acting that way to take away from my point. So, yes, now that I've expanded on my original statement, it is quite black and white.

Quoting brandydesiree:

So you think a brother should be able to marry his sister, as long as they both consent?

Or a grandfather to marry his adult grandchild?

It is not that black and white.

Quoting davnrori:

I think any consenting adult should be able to marry any other consenting adult. I don't know why this is a problem!

Kaya529
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Lol...I am not a liberal either. I wasn't saying you should agree with her. I was just pointing out that the OP wasn't against marriage, just not a government sanctioned one. That it should be a religious thing instead.

Quoting Hayleysmom88:

I suppose. I am not very liberal......at all. I like it the way it is. Just a personal preference.

Quoting Kaya529:

You could still do all of that, it just wouldn't be government sanctioned.

Quoting Hayleysmom88:

I worded that wrong. I mean people that know us. Friends and family. I don't care about strangers opinions

Quoting spooky415:

nobody knows that by looking at you lol.

Quoting Hayleysmom88:

Ehh. I see your point but I like the idea of being married to dh. I like that other people look at us and know that we dated got married and then had children. A lot of people don't do that in that order anymore for whatever reason and there is something kind of sad about that too me. Not judging anyone else's lifestyle, its just something I personally cherish.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Fuck that noise! Thank god that will never happen!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I don't think that they should do away with the concept of marriage all together just the name. For some reason that seems to be the hang up. Ok if the church wants to maintain the verbiage, so be it. I can compromise for the good of all. I think that everyone should have civil unions and transfer the current rights of marriage to apply to civil unions. Then if you want your church to recognise your union you have them perform a marriage ceremony and maintain the records if they like.

I have said this for years! Hope it catches on. I really think it is a good solution all around.

silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Lol i dont think so
With marriage it takes a lot more commitment than just being together ( but not always)
davnrori
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Ftr, are you equating the acceptance of gay marriage today with the likely acceptance of incest, bestiality, and pedophilia 30 years from now? While I'm not a supporter of incest, if the people are consenting and it hurts no one, what's the big deal? The point here is CONSENT. An animal cannot give consent, neither can a child.

Whatever the definition of marriage is, and I'm assuming here that you want me to notice that marriage can be defined as both a religious and lawful union between a man and a woman, it has shown itself to be first and foremost a changeable contract. If it wasn't then we men and women who are married today are really doing it wrong as compared to the first man and woman who were ever married.

Quoting brandydesiree:

You made a blanket statement. I was not being obtuse.

Aren't there already federal laws in place that prevent Gay's from marrying?

I'm not anti-gay marriage. My brother is gay and married. My point is, 30 years ago, hell 10 years ago, the majority of Americans were against gay marriage, just like the majority of us today are against incest, bestiality, and pedophilia. Things are not black and white. But if you want to keep it in black and white...just look up the definition of marriage in any language and see it was says.

Here is my brother and his husband.

They got married in New York in December. I love my brother and I adore his husband.

Quoting davnrori:

Hey, whatever floats your boat. Are there not laws already in place to prevent such a thing from happening? I believe you are being deliberately obtuse. There are genetic reasons why a brother shouldn't marry a sister, a grandfather to marry his adult grandchild, etc. If you don't know that then Google hasn't been your friend. You know I meant that, barring a close genetic link, consenting adults should be able to marry. If you didn't know that then you are either thick or simply acting that way to take away from my point. So, yes, now that I've expanded on my original statement, it is quite black and white.

Quoting brandydesiree:

So you think a brother should be able to marry his sister, as long as they both consent?

Or a grandfather to marry his adult grandchild?

It is not that black and white.

Quoting davnrori:

I think any consenting adult should be able to marry any other consenting adult. I don't know why this is a problem!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:51 PM
That would complicate housing situations with the military. That's for sure.

What if one guy had two kids from two women? Do they both live in housing?
sassysuie
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I wanna get married....my wedding is this July and I have been looking forward to this for a while now!! I think any two adults should be allowed to marry, I don't see anything wrong with gays getting married!!

Hayleysmom88
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:51 PM
But then only in a church would your marriage be recognized.

Quoting Kaya529:

Lol...I am not a liberal either. I wasn't saying you should agree with her. I was just pointing out that the OP wasn't against marriage, just not a government sanctioned one. That it should be a religious thing instead.

Quoting Hayleysmom88:

I suppose. I am not very liberal......at all. I like it the way it is. Just a personal preference.

Quoting Kaya529:

You could still do all of that, it just wouldn't be government sanctioned.

Quoting Hayleysmom88:

I worded that wrong. I mean people that know us. Friends and family. I don't care about strangers opinions

Quoting spooky415:

nobody knows that by looking at you lol.

Quoting Hayleysmom88:

Ehh. I see your point but I like the idea of being married to dh. I like that other people look at us and know that we dated got married and then had children. A lot of people don't do that in that order anymore for whatever reason and there is something kind of sad about that too me. Not judging anyone else's lifestyle, its just something I personally cherish.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured