Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Looking for friends to talk to about Valve replacement heart surgeries or loved ones who had it done

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:18 PM
  • 3 Replies

HI everyone, I'm wondering if there is anyone on here who or their family or friends have had valve replacement surgeries? I am only 26 yrs old, and I am getting my Aortic Valve replaced. 

I was very happy in the beginning because I have had Aortic Stenosis my whole life, I have 1 son, i wanted 1 more baby down the road.. but I just met up with my surgeon and I still may not be able to have any even after. I don't want to bore anyone with details, but would love to share and learn from other's who have had this experience or had a family member or a friend who did that may be able to help me. Thanks a bunch 

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Ivsleep
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:02 PM

My mother just had her aortic valve replaced for stenosis last month.  She had a minimally invasive procedure done, where they only have to make a smaller incision in the lower part of the sternum, rather than a typical full length incision.  The healing time and pain are significantly less that way.  She elected to have a native pig valve as replacement, rather than a mechanical valve.  You must be on oral blood thinners with a mechanical valve, but only need it for a short time with a pig valve.  The problem with a pig valve is that they usually only last 10 years or so, but with medical advancements, she is hedging her bet that they will be able to do the next replacement with a catheter inserted in the artery in her groin, rather tham opening up her chest again.

She had surgery Dec. 11th and coul not lift anything greater than 5 pounds or anything higher than chest level for the first month, nor could she drive.  I believe she has been cleared to do a little more now, and can also drive again now.  So you will need lots of help that first month or two with your child and household activities.  My mother is retired, but I believe the standard time off work is about 2 months.  You will probably only be in the hospital for 5 days, unless you have complications.  I also have several friends whose parents have had this same surgery in the last couple of years, and all have done well, as it has become a fairly routine surgery.

xxxTrishy518xxx
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Yeah, My surgeon wants me to really think about which one I decide on. He told me if I do choose the Pig valve, then I pretty much would have 3 years to make my family... he said because my valve is so small, that the pig valve may last a lesser time, and that if he can't find a smaller pig valve to place, he would have to put in the mechanical one. Me and My SO been talking about it, because we wanted to wait at least 5 to 6 years, So he said if anything, We could always adopt, if we are ready to have any children together in the future. We just don't want to rush the TTC within 3 years, So I guess im a bit bummed. 

We are looking more into the Mechanical one just so we don't have to do this all over and it's a lifetime guarentee, ya know. I'm scared shitless (sorry for my bad word) but its just been bothering me. 

I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure back in October so between that and the Aortic Stenosis.. It's just been bummy..   This upcoming Monday... All my teeth are coming out....    

xxxTrishy518xxx
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:12 AM

I forgot to ask my surgeon what type of cut they are doing. I hope its a small one. lol. I'm terrified of pain, and just worried about the whole procedure 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN