Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

NUTRITION COMPARISON.. HEALTHY FOOD.. AND JUNKFOOD..

Posted by   + Show Post

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Replies (31-40):
HelloSweetie
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:44 AM

And no HTC diet. I didn't do this to lose weight (Thats what HTC is right?) I did this for health and weightloss has been a happy happy side effect.

Quoting JavaLadybug2:

Roughly on a typical week.. How much do you spend on groceries 

And by groceries I mean FOOD ONLY! 

When you began switching over.. How did you go about it.. Htc diet ? 

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Not rude at all :P Fairly common question for me.

I eat a lot of meat, eggs and veggies. When I bake, I use coconut flour (I could use almonds but the elimination diet has shown me I have an issue with almonds :( It was a difficult change at first. When you stop eating sugar and most carbs, you're body gets pretty bent about it because it's used to fueling that way. My body went into ketosis for about a month and then started using protein AND my body fat as fuel. Thats when I started to feel fantastic.

A typical day of food for me is fried eggs over spinch and sliced tomatoes, for lunch, usually leftovers from the night before and dinner is like baked chicken, mashed cauliflower and a couple green veggies.

Snacks- I make coconut flour bread and have sunbutter on it, or a pear.

I'm Paleo with Candida diet mixed in -(the STRICT no sugar intake)

Quoting TiffanyRose06:

Not being rude, just truly curious but with all you cut out what do you eat? How hard was it to switch?

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Yeah I don't get it either. I say we can't afford NOT to eat right.

I changed my diet 4 months ago, cut out sugar, dairy, all grains, gluten, soy- I've lost 53 pounds and it is AMAZING how great I feel. My daughter is on week 2 no refined sugar, no dyes, no dairy. Her teacher called 3rd day in to say her behavior has been amazing.

Quoting JavaLadybug2:

Thanks. I think it is very interesting the things we think we can "splurge" on in terms of food.. And yet we give up things that are really the nutritional and vitamin rich foods our bodies are truly craving

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Love it

kattu
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this
I like trader Joe's cup of joe medium roast.

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Is that good? Im looking for a fantastic tasting coffee because I drink it black. So far- no good.

Quoting Anonymous:

Hm. I buy organic mostly but I do buy and love my fair trade coffee.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Pedro
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this
What is that? 2lbs of chicken maybe? I can get a bag of boneless skinless non-organic for the same price and it has 3.5lbs. Nobody is staying we should all eat a bunch of junk... That's not a good comparison. A real comparison would be non-organic versus organic... Processed meals versus unprocessed. That's where the money lies and the real results are.
HelloSweetie
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I wonder if that can be ordered online. The closest Trader Joe's is 4 hours :/

Quoting kattu:

kattu
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:53 AM
I drive an hour, to RI :/ I'm in CT. I see you said you're in Maine. I never considered ordering online from them before.

Quoting HelloSweetie:

I wonder if that can be ordered online. The closest Trader Joe's is 4 hours :/

Quoting kattu:

MrsErdos2011
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Some of it is. Organic can mean a lot. It's not always best.

Quoting danie24:

No. Pesticide free, hormone free food isn't a rip off.

But we all have different priorities.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

organic is a rip off.

I may not be a perfect wife or mother but I am perfect in the eyes of my son and my husband and that is all that matters.

Eliots_momma
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this
And if you have a garden you can eat for almost nothing and you KNOW beyond a doubt what chemicals you have added, or should I say haven't added :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JavaLadybug2
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Ok. And how much does it cost you  a week.. 
I am mostly asking this to get a guideline..

Quoting HelloSweetie:

And no HTC diet. I didn't do this to lose weight (Thats what HTC is right?) I did this for health and weightloss has been a happy happy side effect.

Quoting JavaLadybug2:

Roughly on a typical week.. How much do you spend on groceries 

And by groceries I mean FOOD ONLY! 

When you began switching over.. How did you go about it.. Htc diet ? 

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Not rude at all :P Fairly common question for me.

I eat a lot of meat, eggs and veggies. When I bake, I use coconut flour (I could use almonds but the elimination diet has shown me I have an issue with almonds :( It was a difficult change at first. When you stop eating sugar and most carbs, you're body gets pretty bent about it because it's used to fueling that way. My body went into ketosis for about a month and then started using protein AND my body fat as fuel. Thats when I started to feel fantastic.

A typical day of food for me is fried eggs over spinch and sliced tomatoes, for lunch, usually leftovers from the night before and dinner is like baked chicken, mashed cauliflower and a couple green veggies.

Snacks- I make coconut flour bread and have sunbutter on it, or a pear.

I'm Paleo with Candida diet mixed in -(the STRICT no sugar intake)

Quoting TiffanyRose06:

Not being rude, just truly curious but with all you cut out what do you eat? How hard was it to switch?

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Yeah I don't get it either. I say we can't afford NOT to eat right.

I changed my diet 4 months ago, cut out sugar, dairy, all grains, gluten, soy- I've lost 53 pounds and it is AMAZING how great I feel. My daughter is on week 2 no refined sugar, no dyes, no dairy. Her teacher called 3rd day in to say her behavior has been amazing.

Quoting JavaLadybug2:

Thanks. I think it is very interesting the things we think we can "splurge" on in terms of food.. And yet we give up things that are really the nutritional and vitamin rich foods our bodies are truly craving

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Love it

HelloSweetie
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:03 AM

I posted that, I wonder where it went

Quoting JavaLadybug2:

Ok. And how much does it cost you  a week.. 
I am mostly asking this to get a guideline..

HelloSweetie
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:03 AM

by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:43 AM

In the beginning I spent WAYY too much, like over 200/wk I've gotten it down to 125ish a week for 3 people. Buy whats on sale and a crapload of frozen veggies. We're not 100% organic. I live in the middle of Maine and my faith in the labeling just isn't there. We buy from companies we trust and fresh produce with a PLU code with 4 digits, as those are neither organic nor GMO or a PLU code that has 5 digits and starts with 9 (we don't get those often enough here)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)