Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I just found out...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 72 Replies
That my FIL is coming to stay with us for a month, three weeks after our baby is born.

MIL is going overseas and he is 70 and in poor health so she doesn't want to leave him home alone.

He requires a special diet, so I will have to cook special food for him and he can't get up the stairs to our guest room so we have to turn the baby's nursery into a guest room for him.

So I will be a first time mom, taking care of a newborn and an elderly person. Dh thinks this is just fantastic but of course he'll be at work all day. And I have to cook the special food on his schedule or he gets sick.

No one asked me if this was ok...I just got a text from MIL today saying that she booked his flights. Ohx and he's flying into an airport that's four hours away so dh will have to drive there to pick him up and drop him off.

Grrrr....is it wrong of me to be pissed off about this? I live my FIL and I'm glad he'll be able to see his grandson but I'm a very private person anyway and I don't like people in my space and this is for an entire month. Not to mention that I'm going to have enough on my hands learning how to care for my baby. Sigh...
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:55 PM
5 moms liked this

WOW, one word about your DH and MIL SELFISH 

Mrs.Andrews
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I would be very upset too. I would feel really selfish about it but I would still be upset. You should have a say in what happens. Have you told your husband how you feel?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

I would be very upset too. I would feel really selfish about it but I would still be upset. You should have a say in what happens. Have you told your husband how you feel?

Yes and he just says that his dad is old and going to die soon so we need to accommodate him. But dh isn't the one that will be home all day taking care of him.

That is going to be a stressful time anyway with the new baby and now I feel like I'm not going to get to enjoy my baby at all. I am very introverted and I love, love, love being left alone and now I'm just going to have to lock myself in my bedroom if I want any privacy. The tv room is upstairs too so I won't even have anything to distract him. Fml.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:03 PM
And I've been so excited, decorating the nursery...making it beautiful and now we're going to have to buy a futon and stuff it in there for him to sleep on. I just want to cry.
LadyF86
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:06 PM

ooooh lawdy!!!! I would be super pissed

Mrs.Andrews
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:07 PM
2 moms liked this

You sound a lot like me. I had trouble just having my Husband's parents stay with us for a few days after my first baby was born. 
You need to talk to your husband about how tired you are going to be, how much help you will need, etc. He needs to help out. At the least, prepare meals ahead of time for you to just heat up for his Dad. Are there any siblings that could help out?

You also need to take this up with your MIL. Tell her it won't work for you and that your Husband didn't check with you first and doesn't realize what you will be doing while he is at work all day. Tell her you would be willing to do it for a week or two only but she will have to make other arrangements for the rest of the time. Or something like that. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Mrs.Andrews:

Yes and he just says that his dad is old and going to die soon so we need to accommodate him. But dh isn't the one that will be home all day taking care of him.

That is going to be a stressful time anyway with the new baby and now I feel like I'm not going to get to enjoy my baby at all. I am very introverted and I love, love, love being left alone and now I'm just going to have to lock myself in my bedroom if I want any privacy. The tv room is upstairs too so I won't even have anything to distract him. Fml.

CharlotteRose
I can't believe Xmas is almost here!
Today at 1:25 PM
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Will your DH be taking time off to help w/the baby?  Could her also take time off to help w/his dad? I mean, that is alot to ask for esp w/a new time mother - your emotions will be up and down, etc.... I hope you can get some help because girl you are going to need it! 

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:12 PM
4 moms liked this

Didn't DH talk to you about this??

IF not then ask him how you will be able to pay the bills because HE will be staying at home and caring for his father

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:13 PM
I don't think I can work out an arrangement of just a week or two. For one she's already booked the flights and for two he's flying to us from 1000 miles away and she needs someone to watch him the whole time she's overseas.

I think I will tell dh that he needs to deal with this special meals crap. He can make them and freeze them and I'll heat them up.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Get over it, we do these things for family.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN