Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

There is no excuse...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 45 Replies

To not be able to eat healthy on PA.

I'll preface by saying:

My DH and I have never been on PA before, but recently he lost his job (as in 2 weeks ago recently). We both have multiple applications out, and are hoping for a call back. He had a callbck today, but he still has to go through multiple interviews, etc.

Anyway, while we are waiting for this, we did apply for PA. We had a great savings built, and then our YDD got sick and it was all put toward her bills. Well not all of it. We have enough to cover our necessary payments for about 3 months, but that's it.

I hope that we aren't on them any more than one month, I hate the thought of needing to use them because I feel there are so many more in need and I feel it's unfair to them that we even need them for this long. While things are unexpected, we should have planned better. 

I also understand why people complain about those who defraud the system now, I never realized that people were given that much. Many people in my family use PA, but since I don't talk to them, I didn't know how much was given to them.

Moving on.

We were approved for SNAP today, and my eyes bulged out of my head. I couldn't believe people claim you can't eat healthy on this! I spend $400 per month on healthy organic foods for my family of 4, that includes the foods for making my own baby food. They give our family of four $650!

I'm not bashing those who have the occasional snack. I'm sitting her typing this while devouring a piece of chocolate cake (Boxed mix that's been in my pantry for about 3 months to all you naysayers. It was leftover from ODDs birthday). I'm referring to those who believe your daily nutrition comes from potato chips, deep fried oreos, and spaghettios. (exaggeration, you know what I mean though.)

If you are someone who claims there is no way to eat healthy on PA you really need to recheck your budget. With a budget that high, even shopping organic would be simple. 

Anyway, stepping off the soap box (or the cereal box since we're talking food lol). If you're serious about wanting to eat healthy and have a limited budget and you just don't know how to do it, feel free to ask. I've made it work on $50 per week, and I've made it work on $200 each week. No matter your budget it is pollist. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:25 PM
What meals do you make?
wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:25 PM

PA folk live better then the people who earn what they get.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:27 PM

I agree. Especially in the summer. Even the Farmer's Market takes EBT.

amanda_n_e
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:29 PM
I don't get pa, but I'm struggling with a foods budget.
We eat lots of fruit and vegetables. Chicken. And we are gluten free
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Maks1mommy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:29 PM
It's cheaper to eat fresh home cooked meals, no matter what you make.
-_-
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:30 PM
2 moms liked this
There are tons of excuses for it.

Example : the dog ate my shopping list.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TattoodMommy19
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:33 PM
I usually agree with your opinions.
In this case I do not.

I work and receive PA. I don't "live better" than anyone. I still earn my money.
We budget and get by. I don't buy loads of crap but I certainly don't buy all organic either.

I'm surprised at this comment from you honestly.

Quoting wkukid:

wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Someone posted a thing the other day that showed people that receive the full PA getting about 60k a year and the average person making 50k. I've been jaded since.

Quoting TattoodMommy19:

In this case I do not.

I work and receive PA. I don't "live better" than anyone. I still earn my money.
We budget and get by. I don't buy loads of crap but I certainly don't buy all organic either.

Quoting wkukid:

TattoodMommy19
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:38 PM
Ah. I see.
Well I work 2 jobs and don't 50k a year. And the food stamps are $98 a month. So I don't get anywhere near the avg I suppose.

Quoting wkukid:

Someone posted a thing the other day that showed people that receive the full PA getting about 60k a year and the average person making 50k. I've been jaded since.

Quoting TattoodMommy19:

In this case I do not.

Quoting wkukid:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Where do you live? Organic, hell even non organic healthy foods aren't available at low costs everywhere. How old are your children, it's cheaper to feed younger children, even if you do make your own baby food.

Honestly, you sound like you were a food snob before needing PA and continue to be one now.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)