Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

There is no excuse...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

To not be able to eat healthy on PA.

I'll preface by saying:

My DH and I have never been on PA before, but recently he lost his job (as in 2 weeks ago recently). We both have multiple applications out, and are hoping for a call back. He had a callbck today, but he still has to go through multiple interviews, etc.

Anyway, while we are waiting for this, we did apply for PA. We had a great savings built, and then our YDD got sick and it was all put toward her bills. Well not all of it. We have enough to cover our necessary payments for about 3 months, but that's it.

I hope that we aren't on them any more than one month, I hate the thought of needing to use them because I feel there are so many more in need and I feel it's unfair to them that we even need them for this long. While things are unexpected, we should have planned better. 

I also understand why people complain about those who defraud the system now, I never realized that people were given that much. Many people in my family use PA, but since I don't talk to them, I didn't know how much was given to them.

Moving on.

We were approved for SNAP today, and my eyes bulged out of my head. I couldn't believe people claim you can't eat healthy on this! I spend $400 per month on healthy organic foods for my family of 4, that includes the foods for making my own baby food. They give our family of four $650!

I'm not bashing those who have the occasional snack. I'm sitting her typing this while devouring a piece of chocolate cake (Boxed mix that's been in my pantry for about 3 months to all you naysayers. It was leftover from ODDs birthday). I'm referring to those who believe your daily nutrition comes from potato chips, deep fried oreos, and spaghettios. (exaggeration, you know what I mean though.)

If you are someone who claims there is no way to eat healthy on PA you really need to recheck your budget. With a budget that high, even shopping organic would be simple. 

Anyway, stepping off the soap box (or the cereal box since we're talking food lol). If you're serious about wanting to eat healthy and have a limited budget and you just don't know how to do it, feel free to ask. I've made it work on $50 per week, and I've made it work on $200 each week. No matter your budget it is pollist. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:21 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Before getting FS this month I lived on $50 per week. Your FS covers 3 weeks of my budget, you would need 43 to cover the final week. And you can eat healthy on that. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting wkukid:

Very few people come close to getting that. For example my family of two gets $157 in fs. That's not even half what op gets for four. And no you cannot eat healthy on that. I have the bloodwork to prove it.

embersparkle
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:45 PM
Where do you get this idea from ??? I know several people on pa who still struggle to make ends meet, do not have iPhones or fancy flat screen tv's, and have cars that are crap because its all they can afford ! Where are these people with designer clothes, nails done etc ??????

Quoting wkukid:

PA folk live better then the people who earn what they get.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kngarber
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:45 PM

The amount is ridiculous.  It is so excessive which is part of the problem and why they get sold.  You can sell hald of them and still eat well for the month.

Anyway.  After my oldest was born my position was "terminated"and we got FS for a few months.  We ate incredibly well.  Lots and lots of fresh fruits and veggies. Well balanced meals.  I don't understand people who get full benifits and can't eat healthy.

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Someone put a study on here the other day proving that the average(not all) PA recipient that got the full service collected 60k. The average worker makes 50k. According to that working is irrelevant.

Quoting embersparkle:

Where do you get this idea from ??? I know several people on pa who still struggle to make ends meet, do not have iPhones or fancy flat screen tv's, and have cars that are crap because its all they can afford ! Where are these people with designer clothes, nails done etc ??????

Quoting wkukid:

embersparkle
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:55 PM
Oh I didn't see that.

Quoting wkukid:

Someone put a study on here the other day proving that the average(not all) PA recipient that got the full service collected 60k. The average worker makes 50k. According to that working is irrelevant.

Quoting embersparkle:

Quoting wkukid:

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:58 PM

I think that works great for where you live, but not everyone will have the same options or costs that you will

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:00 PM

That explains why so many people refuse to work. Ugh, personally I hate being on it. I wish we had the savings. But even living on half of our income, our YDDs medical bills were just too much when insurance was only paying 70% of it. We had 15K in savings last year and it's almost depleted. Hopefully this won't last long. DH has alot of experience, and he has an interview for an engineering job. It's 4 hours away, but the pay is enough to cover the hotel for 4 days a week and travel and we would still have enough to live on the same income we were before he lost his job. So my fingers are crossed that this month is the only month we need it.

I don't mind that full benefits pay that much, because there are people who CANT work that need it. But people who refuse to find a job on PA piss me off. It takes away from those who truly need it. 

Quoting wkukid:

Quoting embersparkle:

Quoting wkukid:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:06 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

Sorry but my doctors disagree with you. My bloodwork continues to come back showing I'm malnourished. My son eats, I do not.
skittlefart
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:09 PM

*moves along*

100_2740_zps5829069a-1_zpsb5588e7c
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Daisypath Wedding tickers
haunted.mommy
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:11 PM
The horse is dead, stop beating it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN