Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Mothers of special needs children...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
Do you plan to have more children if you have already given birth to a severely disabled child? If you know your chances are high of having another child with special needs, would you? Just curious.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:17 PM
I have a special needs child I want more chances are slim his disabilities are from medical intervention during pregnancy even if it wasn't he deserves to have a sibling to grow up with I'd take the chance
AndBabyMade5
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:26 PM
We adopted our special needs child and would be open to adopting another....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RiotousDigits
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:30 PM

My child's "special need" isn't really all that special.  In fact, if I could I would have one or two more just like her. but we're done with kids and the idea of genetically engineering an embryo is on my Bad Ideas list anyway.

It kinda sucks to be the only Deaf kid in a hearing family... and a hearing school... with all hearing 'friends.'  Would be nice to have a sibling around she can connect with, I think.

StoneColdKiller
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a special needs child, and honestly Im waiting until my child is much older to have a 2nd in case the 2nd one might be the same or worse off, sadly our medical history is a scary thing to look at.

We have a autistic/adhd son, but the next one could be like me and have severe asthma and be in and out of hospitals and doctors for years, or have a heart defect that needs my attention, or has epilepsy like my mil, or bipolar like me and most of my family. Or nothing and then the 2nd child just gets more normal attention. 

Either way my son still needs me a lot and I couldnt have a 2nd child and feel I even up my time enough and still had my sane time. 

tiffs2009
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:33 PM
If the chances were 50% or more then no I would not. My son has CF (with dh) and my daughter is developmentally delayed (diff dad). I want more kids in the future and I don't see why not. It's only a 25% chance... (i have higher odds of miscarrying, 5mc, 3 live births) so I would risk it.
mom2priceboys
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I have had several special needs children all fromdifferent reasons none related. First had a seizure disorder and had CP from them. He passed when he was almost 7. Secon and third were twins over ten years later and had placenta issues - they were born at 27 weeks twin A passed 2 days after birth - survivore has vision issues due to his prematurity. Fourth and last baby has issues becasue I took zoloft during that pregnancy (Dr assured me it was OK - we now know better!!) so he has bipolar and psychosis also seizures but unrelated to oldest son. Hubby and I both got fixed but if possible would welcome any child God gives me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Nope because the next one could be worse and my heart can't handle that. So I had a tubal done so there's no chance
Cymbeline
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I have a child with very involved special needs, and I plan to have one more. I have no more chance than the rest of the population of having another child with her condition.

My daughter benefits greatly from her siblings and their attention, and they've learned so much from her.

LDennany
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:48 PM
My DD has a language disorder. We're afraid that if we were to have another the could end up with a more severe disability. Autism runs on both sides of our family. We both want another but have agreed to wait at least 3 years before we make a decision on having another.
RobinChristine
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 1:44 PM

yes,I have wanted one more for years. I miscarried twins prior to Thor and a single birth after Thor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN