Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you're on PA you shouldn't have

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Pets! Am I right or am I right? I mean if you can't afford basic needs for your family then you shouldn't be able to afford basic needs for a pet.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:45 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:57 PM

suppose they go to the humane society and get it free?  does the pet not deserve to live because the owner has a temporary setback?    

Quoting Anonymous:

If someone can afford pet food and proper vet visits for an animal then tax payers should not have to pay to feed their children or for Medicaid for their children. 

Quoting beingme75:

And...y shouldn't people on PA have pets?? I'm not following what pets and PA have to do with eachother..my brain hurts..

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I have 2 dogs, 2 cats, and 1 lizard, and I get food stamps. they're temporary, for a temporary situation. I've had the pets much longer than I've had the food stamps. I'm not giving up creatures I love and who love me to move on to who knows who and what... why would I give my dogs away when they have a a forever home with me?

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I have a purebred Newf.  If I was to go on PA for some reason and it was long-term, I'd have to strongly consider returning her to the breeder.  Her diet is specialized and requires $50 a month on dry food, $25 roughly on yogurt, and twice a year $125 for special supplements.

But, if it was a very temporary issue, I'd try to keep her and budget that somehow.  I shouldn't lose everything I ever own simply because I hit a rough patch.  God knows I pay enough in taxes now to cover myself if I hit a tough spot for a short bit!  I've been paying taxes for 14 years!

Now, if I was on PA, I wouldn't add a pet to the mix.  That's my personal decision.

Some people on PA benefit greatly from pets.  Pets can keep depression at bay, which can be useful for someone who got layed off or suffered a loss.  Pets can help lower blood pressure as well.  When I was fostering dogs, I got more than one young widow looking for a companion.  And I've helped home dogs with disabled veterans as well.  They are on PA, but having the pets help them greatly, and I can't begrudge them that.

I don't think PA and pets are the problem, unless they are spending hundred of dollars on the pets while failing to feed their own family.  More like, PA and no financial counseling or classes, fraud, or people selling foodstamps so they have cash for booze/drugs/video games, etc.

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:58 PM
Him so I got pregnant and found out my insurance didn't cover any maternity benefits and had to get on Medicaid, so should I have gotten rid of my 17 year old diabetic cat who was on her last leg and actually died 8 months later?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:00 PM
1 mom liked this

we're not neccessarily pround of it, just not ashamed. not afraid to admit that we've needed a little help along the way.

if you ask me, that's strength. admitting your faults and not being ashamed of them.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have never seen so many people that are so proud to be on PA.

Anonymous

Dont worry. I agree. Thats why when I quit my job coz I couldnt be fucked working any longer.... I drove out to the country and dropped my dog off in the middle of nowhere. Im not wasting money on a stupid dog.

Cristie0911
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:00 PM

You are right. 

Anonymous
Oh so when I got FS and WIC for a year I should have abandoned, killed or dropped my 4 year old blind great Dane that depends on me and cries whenever I go away even when someone else watches him?

He is attached to me because he was born blind and needed someone to rely on but since I needed some help for a year I should have abandoned him?

If I can't handle a pet I would rehome them but this particular dog cannot be rehomed and I was able to care for him sooooooo...
wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:00 PM

The humane society isn't a vet.

Quoting Anonymous:

suppose they go to the humane society and get it free?  does the pet not deserve to live because the owner has a temporary setback?    

Quoting Anonymous:

If someone can afford pet food and proper vet visits for an animal then tax payers should not have to pay to feed their children or for Medicaid for their children. 

Quoting beingme75:

And...y shouldn't people on PA have pets?? I'm not following what pets and PA have to do with eachother..my brain hurts..

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:01 PM

SOrry, not getting rid of any of my pets. I  adopted them way before I ever needed PA.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)