Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Kindergarten Bully

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:04 PM
  • 50 Replies

In October we moved back to Indiana and my daughter, Madison, started her new Kindergarten class.  At first she loved it, she made friends quickly, and she has a really great teacher.  (Seriously she really is one of the best teachers I have ever met, my younger sister also had her for Kindergarten also.)

Well, after a month or so Madison started trying to get out of going to school, faking sick, saying she was too tired, things of that nature.  I talked to her teacher and she said that Madison was doing great and she couldn't understand why she didn't want to go. 

Then Madi started talking about another little girl in her class.  We'll call her "A."  Apparently A has been picking on Madi and telling all the other kids in their class not to be friends with her.  The teacher had a talk with the girls and things seemed to get better. 

Now, ever since they have returned from Christmas break Madi has been different.  She is usually very happy all of the time and recently she has been very down and touchy.  It seems like everything sets her off into a temper tantrum or makes her cry.

One of the big things we have recently been struggling with is getting her to eat her meals.  She always fights, saying she doesn't like food that she typically loves.  Every meal has been a fight recently.  Things came to a head last night when she just outright refused to eat her favorite meal.  I sat her down and talked to her and refused to let her go until she gave me a good reason as to why she wasn't eating. 

Finally, she broke down crying saying that "A" has been telling her she is fat and ugly and should never eat again.  She also spits in her face and pushes her down in P.E. when the teachers aren't looking.  I asked Madi if she tells the teacher when this stuff happens and she said no because then "A" is even meaner to her for being a tattle-tale. 

Madi's teacher is out for a couple days visiting her son and new grandbaby so I sent her an email with details of what Madi has told me. 

To top things all off this little girl also rides Madi's bus and her grandma is the bus driver (little girl also lives with Grandma).  One day when A wasn't in school Madi told her bus driver about the things "A" does to her and she said "Yeah that's just how A is"

I just don't understand how a Kindergartner can be so vicious.  It's really starting to destroy my little girls and it's breaking my heart.  I'm not sure what else I can do to help her. 

This is my Madibug

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama91605
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:07 PM
My dd is on first grade and came home really up set this week because another kid called her fat. t was promptly taken care of at the school and dd is okay now but I am so pissed. I am hurt for her.

Your dd is beautiful tell her not to let anybody tell her any different.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mama91605
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:08 PM
Report the grandma as well. If it don't get stopped now, it never will
MommyCirca2004
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Other than telling you to report it to the teacher and make sure your LO does too when it happens, try speaking to the principal about it also. If that doesn't work, maybe see about having her class and bus changed if you can so she won't have to intereact with the other girl anymore. *hugs* Hope it gets better for your LO!! :-)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:10 PM

thats so sad and my worst nightmare. ds starts kindergarten next year. i dont know how i am going to handle anyone being mean to my baby....

MrsRinehart2010
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:10 PM
An as soon as the kid spit in my daughters face that would be the last straw my daughter probably would have knocked the crap out of her. I know hitting isnt the answer but that would be my reaction as well so I couldnt very well blame my daughter for doing it. Well any ways I would have a talk with all her teachers an tell her she has to tell the teachers when this stuff happens. She needs to stick up for her way one way or another if the teachers dont stuck up for her then she neesd to know it is okay to stick up for her self as well.
MedicMommy2
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I would report both the girl and the grandma. While doing that I would point out that the teacher is great and has tried to handle it but it appears to be going on behind her back and your daughter is now scared to tell.

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:11 PM
I'd have my kid punch her in the face but most people would disagree with me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama91605
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Not I. I told my dd to do the same.

Quoting quickbooksworm:

I'd have my kid punch her in the face but most people would disagree with me.

LilliesValley
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:15 PM
Oh mama its so hard when things get like this. Dd had some similar problems in prek. Id talk to the teacher and maybe a sit down between the two families with the teacher and principle.

The other girl is obviously insecurity and probably not getting enough attention at home. And if she's living with grandmothers then who knows what lead to her living with her. Grandmothers may not be thrilled with having to raise her grandchildren and may not be putting in the same effort as she would have when she was younger. Those aren't excuses but just things to think about.

All of the teachers need to be watching for this behavior especially when they are st their specials like gym. The principal and school counselor need to know to because a may need some counseling to deal with whatever is going on in her life too. Be supportive of your daughter like you have been and help with a positive body image. Try extra one on one time. Hugs mama! It will get better.
mrstompkins
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Definitely talk to the teacher about it. If she doesn't seem responsive enough, I would take it to the principal. A similar thing happened to my dd and her teacher put a stop to it immediately. My dd and the girl are actually friends now. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)